9/18 Albie's located and landed - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Secret:Time on the water

9/18 Albie's located and landed

Well despite my bad right shoulder and not being out since the Bluefin Olympics I decided last night to make a run out and see if I could find some Apple Knockers AKA Albies. I had heard through the grapevine that the Sluiceway had some Albies showing and that Montauk had a good push as of last week. My buddy Al was already out at the Sluiceway and had one in the boat so I headed over to the Sluiceway as fast as I could. When I got there the rip was looking real inviting but the fish were eerily absent? I talked with Al and we decided to make the run over to the point. After a quick check of Shagwon we headed straight for the point and the growing armada that I could see from a distance. First cast hooked up and landed the 1st Albie of 05'. Had good action for about and hour and a half but the growing numbers of boats finally took it's toll and the fish scattered. I fished up the southside looking for bass but found zip. Headed back east and around the point, saw fish further north towards False Bar but the armada was on them. I stopped a couple of time but the fish were just too gun shy from all the traffic and I quickly decided it was time to head elsewhere. I headed over to Eastern Plains Pt. at Gardiners and immediately saw fish busting. These fish were in skinny water and feeding on huge schools of Anchovies. I fished around that area for about 2 hours before headin back to the barn. I hooked and dropped a couple of fish and had a couple of bluefish biteoffs. I totalled 5 Albies landed and numerous dropped fish, had one Albie on the spinning rod that took a half bitten Super Fluke that a bluefish had just bitten off. Not a great day but caught a few fish, would have done better but my shoulder is in bad shape and I am going to see a chiropractor this week to see if I can get some relief, coming back to CT. I was writhing in pain the whole way and thought at one point I was going to lose my lunch it hurt so bad. Weird thing is I don't know how I injured my shoulder and the orthopedic doc said he thought it was a neck injury that was radiating into my shoulder. If I don't get it fixed my fall season may be short lived. 42 and feeling like 72 and not enjoying it one bit. Sean if you read this take the Canucks over to the point and hit Gardiners as well, if you need more intel give me a buzz.
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 AM
fish'n Hobo

Nice Report Mike
good to hear the albies are showing
Get better soon....lots of fishing to do this Fall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Thanks Jim,
You get my PM???
Old 09-20-2005, 07:34 AM
fish'n Hobo

Mike...I did ..
Sorry to hear you can't make it. Get yourself healed up.....clear your schedule.....
and we will try to hit the October Blitz off RI/Montauk.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:05 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Lightbulb Shoulders

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you got into the Albies again this year. Sorry to hear of your shoulder pains. I too have been having shoulder problems that just appeared one day. I found they were due to sleeping on it incorrectly and hyperextending myself while I sleep.

Too soft of a matress wasn't healping that either. I aggravated the injury more by lifting weights. I finally purchased a new matress that helped, But switching to sleeping off my shoulders onto my back probably helped the most.

I also found doing heated yoga and the stretching to do wonders for me, took a couple months to get back to normal. I'm back to bench pressing and free of pain, But I try not to sleep on my shoulders anymore. I have heard you can put pillow under you to support you body and unload the shoulders But I haven't found that to be something I like to do.

Hope to see you on the water, finally have my boat and trailer fixed up, almost in time to winterize it!

HTH,
Greg.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:34 AM

Greg,
Funny you mention the sleeping thing as this started after I woke up one morning feeling like I had slept wrong on it. We have a relatively new bed and my wife has been complaining about it ever since we got it. She was the one that picked it out too. May have to look into another new bed as if I need another bill . I think with time it will take care of itself and that is fine with me I don't want to spend a ton of money on doctors bills to just find out I slept on it wrong . Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Mike,

I hear you about the new bed and more bills. We ended up with a pricey swiss tempurpedic sp? Compared to what we had it was a great improvement. And seeing that we spend as much of a 1/3 of the time sleeping I suppose it was a worthwile investment. Sleeping on my back took alittle getting used to, But it definately helped my shoulders out. Hope your shoulder get's well soon, still a bunch of albies and stripers around to cast too.

Tight lines,
Greg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.