North Country Bio report.... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 08:11 PM

North Country Bio report....

My partner called a Biologist in the Smithers District and was told that "most indicators" showed that the Steelhead run for this Fall was running between 15% to 25% of the 15 year averages for there various indicators( I hope he meant that the runs are down by 15% to 25%, the other intrpetration would be a disaster). He also said that there has been only one System ( The Nass) that has had a Commercial Fishery out in front of the run so it would be a bit of a stretch to lay this short supply of Steelheads on the doorstep of the Gillnetters in Prince Rupert.
Sinktip will be on the ground very soon and we all know he will not even see a steelhead let alone catch any!!!
I was planning on being there myself but some family matters that are very importain have taken priority over my trip up North things usually work out that way and "Family" is rightfully trumping fishing for the immediate future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2005, 12:05 PM

Moonlight -
Given what has happened with other steelhead runs I afraid that it is likely that indicates are for the low (disaster levels) values of 15 to 25% of normal.

Without commerical fisheries or kill recreation seasons it is becoming hard to blame the collapse of our steelhead runs on mis-management. To date virtually all of the anadromous salmonid runs in Washington have returned below expectations. Have my fingers crossed that it is just a one year blip (though the steelhead in Puget Sound/Georgia basin have been in trouble for a decade) and we'll see more normal returns next year. In Puget Sound I having doubts that will be the case as I have seen way fewer "shaker" coho and blackmouth this year than in time in the recent past - not a good sign for next year.

Tight lines
Curt
Old 09-12-2005, 04:15 PM

Steelhead numbers certainly aren't 15%-20% of the normal average. You can take a look at the Tyee test fishery that is used as an index of salmonid abundance in the Skeena. Interestingly, the Tyee results clearly show the 2 year cycle with the odd years having lower steelhead abundance. So being an odd year, the numbers should be a little lower than average but also they are down a bit from what they have been in recent years. So maybe the report from the bio meant down 15-20%, not 15-20 of the normal average.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/northco...a/tyeetest.htm

Cheers,
PEte

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.