Mystic, Ct. fly guys? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 03:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to tglynos
Mystic, Ct. fly guys?

I will be in Mystic, Ct. in mid october for my one year wedding anniversary , and I was hoping to bring the trusty old 9 wt for some Connecticut striper action. Can anyone give some vague, yet valuble advice on locations. I'll probably have half a day to go fishing and want to make the most of it, or I'll just try blind casting at the closest fishy looking areas. Thanks a bunch,
triston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Being a Native, I've found Mystic a bit tough on the shore angler. Have a boat, and you'll be in some amazing fall fishing in the rips offshore. Bonefishmon may have some better advice for you on secret spots, but personally, I always headed to RI for my wade fishing. Weekapaug breachway is only a 15-20 minute drive from mystic, and along the way (1/1A) you'll pass thorugh numerous other places (Stonington, Watch Hill, etc). I tell you, there is nothing like fishing New England with the leaves changing, the bunker schooling, birds wailing, and bass smashing.

You may be able to sneak some shore access in Groton Long Point as there is a Jetty at the end of the road to the right off the main entrance. Also, although a slight hike, Bluff Point can point you on to some water that can have some great action as well. Another place I've found productive early in the season and in the summer evenings on an outgoing tide is the bridge on the way into Groton Long Point just past the Fisherman restaurant. Great food by the way as well!

Nick
Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
What Nick said!...

Mystic access can be a show stopper but a relatively short ride east will yield some potentially phine phishing!
Google search the "Andrea Hotel" (www.andreahotel.com) (location/directions/etc) and you'll find a place that's on Misquamicut Beach...they have some high intensity spot lights that flood the surf with white light (see photo) and the attracted bait draws in noteworthy stripes/blues/phunnyphish...
Good access and surf fishing up and down the beach...look for troughs and sand bars that hold bait...
The beaches behind the Watch Hill (Napatree) merry-go-round are another worthwhile place to wet a line...inside bay/outside beach...my choice if I wasn't subject to OffCapeItisSeparationAnxiety!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andrea Hotel.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	4974  
Old 09-07-2005, 10:16 PM
resigned

PM me when you get a week away from the date. If I'm not working I'll be fishing
for sure and I'll be more than happy to show you around. Do you have exact dates planned for fishing? There are a few spots in Mystic to angle from shore. You just have to live here long enough to find them in the dark! LOL! If I can't join you I will certainly map a strategy for you. Where will you be staying?

Phil
Old 09-10-2005, 08:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to tglynos
Thank you all for the tips, I was thinking of putzing around when I got there, but your tips will help me save some time. Bonefishmon, I will be there from Saturday Oct. 15th until Monday Oct. 17th and will be staying at the Inn at Mystic. I will PM you before I go and thank you so much for being so courteous with you offer.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:57 PM
resigned

I have a photo shoot that Saturday, late afternoon so perhaps we can get out for a few hours in the am. You are only 5 minutes from my home on Mason's Island. The island is to the SE and can be seen from the mansion on the hill at the Inn at Mystic. Pretty good fishing here on the island and your wife will enjoy the scenery. You can also rent a boat if you want and chase birds. You won't have to travel far. High tide is around 7:30 am on the 15th. Perfect timing! Bring a nine weight rods with intermediate and sinking lines. Peanut bunker style flies are the ticket as are big sand eels, clousers and silverside imitations. May still be some shad around as well. Search Shadfest on this site for more info on that fishery. Cows love shad!!

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.