New Member on the Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 04:22 PM

New Member on the Forum

hi all. about 5 years i was taught how to fly fish, an i know how to whip a fly to the water and back out of the water, but what do i do with the fly fishin lures that sink? i fish for bass, sometimes panfish but mostly bass. i have never caught a fish on a fly before, just have practiced on the water(creek) and didnt get any fish. also, where can i find some hand tied flies and fly fishin lures for bass? thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Based on your description I'd start with a basic flyfishing book, don't worry about getting too technical at first.

Get a floating line, put a rubber legged popper on the line and have some fun. You'll get plenty of panfish and the occasional bass.

Then as you practice that you'll start to see bass hanging around or cruising past. They might not be as easy to fool but eventually you'll fool 'em.

They'll crush that popper in the early hours or evening, and will take other flies like a black rabbit strip leech during the day.

If the fish is in cover, it's going to be more prone to eat so find spots where they are lying in ambush and your fly should get nailed.

Study some books or magazines and you will learn faster. If you really want to know how to flyfish you'll stick with it and get better.

A big part of it for me is the discovery... I suggest getting out there and discovering, it's a lot of fun.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-16-2005, 07:45 PM

Smile

JC,

As usual, ... Juro's advice is excellent so I can't add, ... Just a quick note to say Welcome to the Forum.

Hang around a bit, ... the gang here is super!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Welcome to the forum!

Your best bet, as Juro mentioned, is to pick up a general beginner's book on fly fishing.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Pullin' Thread

Juro is right on with his advice about fishing with floating poppers or deer hair bass bugs until you are able to cast them consistently 50' or so.

As for hand-tied bass and panfish flies, Gates Poppers are among the old (meaning going back 70+ years) floating lures for both species. They are not expensive and are readily available from Bass Pro Shops, Cabella's, etc. and fly shops. There ought to be a fly shop fairly close to where you live and that is my first recommendation as to where to go and get the flies of poppers because the folks in the fly shop have a lot of knowledge on fly fishing and would be more than happy to get you moving in the right direction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.