Tying Clousers? Opinions needed! - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to Massflyfishing
Tying Clousers? Opinions needed!

I was introduced to a new way of tying clouser some time ago where you tie in the bucktail so all the material is below the weighted eyes instead of wrapping the hair over the eyes. I was wondering which way everyone prefers tying the clouser.

Supposedly, putting all the material below the hook instead of laying half of it over the eyes allows the fly to swim more freely and become less twisted the more fish you catch etc... My buddies actually look at me in amazment when I tied my clouser the more traditional way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 12:41 PM

I used to tie my Clouser's the traditional way as you do but I now tie them with the hair under the eyes just like a normal streamer. Seems to work a little better. FishHawk
Old 09-06-2005, 06:14 PM

That's how I tie clousers. Like a crazy charlie, I tie all the materials on the bottom of the shank. I also like the Eagle claw LC413 hook.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The deep eel FWIW (variation of the deep minnow) uses some below, and some above. The key is no crosswise wraps behind the eyes to finish.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to Massflyfishing
no crosswraps behind the eyes? how do you get the material not to fan out above the hook and rest at an upward angle?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Deep eel technique:

Bottom half is tied upside down. Tie in a few strands of flash for the centerline then the white underlayer against the shank before you tie the eyes in. Provide a strong base of thread where the eyes will go, but the hair should flow unwrapped from the vee of the eyes in the rear so lay the eyes at the end of the thread wrap so the back half wiggles freely. Make sure you leave a good long gap for the snout - these are sand eels not guppies.

Tie with strong white thread e.g. Danville's monocord in a stout diameter. Criss/cross to hold the eyes against the shank/hair, then build up a conical wrap on the front side toward the hook eye. This is my little secret - the cone wrap builds pressure against the criss cross wraps on the eye and prevents looseness even after many hard fighting fish. My eyes rarely if ever slip and I don't use more than a drop of zap-a-gap to finish. I dislike the bother of epoxy and prefer the more streamlined heads. They look a lot more like sand eels and work better in currents, slim profile sinks better in currents.

Whip and cut, then switch to monofilament thread. I keep a second bobbin with mono threaded.

Make a base wrap of mono over the snout, then rotate the vise and lay the back material. Mixing some baitfish or peacock angelhair into the materials adds a little flash, but not for the flats. Tie the back over the vee of the eyes and criss/cross wrap again, finishing with enough wraps to complete the snout.

For that irresistable head, lay one strip of thin flashabou from the eye just past the eyes on each side along the color change as you wrap the mono thread. The drop of zap-a-gap brings this out and you get a blind threaded head that is hard to beat for realistic looks without much effort.

It's become quite popular, the downside is that I feel the fish on Monomoy have become wise to it like they did the crab fly over the last decade. There was a time when either of those flies would fool the wariest of stripers on the flats. The deep eel is a great fly for the beach, the rips and off the boat on the back beach summer fishery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Juro1.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	4973  
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Location: Atlantic Surf, Inshore and Delaware Bay waters off Cape May NJ
Deep Eel

Juro- I appreciate this thread immensely. Striblue gave me a Deep Eel he had tied this spring- I still have it on my bench in Cape May and its never been wet. Now I can tie my own!
Old 10-22-2005, 09:46 AM

Wow thanks Juro... I have been experimenting with different styles along this line but after reading your ideas you have now opened up pandoras box.....
Old 10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
President of CAC

Bob Clouser showed me BOTH ways...so don't worry about the action...he felt it did not matter....from a direct question from me on it's action tied both ways.

Last edited by striblue; 10-22-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.