Labor Day == fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Labor Day == fishing

The end of summer means it's time to cram the last of the season in before old man winter comes' a knockin.

Still plenty of fishing to go, but what are everyone's plans for this long weekend?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Pencil me in.....

I plan to start beating the Ditch to a froth tomorrow looking for Albies..then proceed to 'Western Middleside' if there is nothing happening.

Last edited by jfbasser; 09-01-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:07 PM

Due to everyone else being on vacation, work is a bit slow for me. So with theweather so nice tomorrow I was thinking about starting the weekend early.
Thinking of going to Ipswich looking for baitpods ALL DAY LONG. HT is late morning so a dawn start and a mid day peak could be nice. Anyone else fishing tommorrow?

Lefty
Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I could be enticed into a Labor Day outing, as I'm on duty through Sunday afternoon. Will Keith be running that day? If not, I could put in my 14ft inflatayak at Stage Harbor near the causeway and paddle my way to the flats....nice sharkie....please don't bite my yak....
Flydoc
Old 09-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Early morning out going tides from the creeks of c.c bay,usually fish well,with peanut bunker pouring back in as the tide floods back in. Should be an interesting weekend.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 PM
_

Rhode Trip!

Any saltwater venture will have to be a day trip for me so probably RI or eastern CT on Sunday. I'll also be out on local waters Sat and Mon.

Q
Old 09-02-2005, 04:37 AM

I am going to try Plymouth Harbor with the yak and stay away from the crowds and the traffic. Should be some bass around. FishHawk
Old 09-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Middle Aged Member

I'll be doing the sunrise shifts on the bayside and Chatham.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:52 AM
resigned

Labor Day Weekend Reports

The Holiday weekend has ended. Reports?

I fished with Sean M. on Saturday. Fished Watch Hill to Weekapaug and back.

We even circled Fisher's Island in search of hardtails. Saw a few at Weekapaug but no where else. Also did some sight fishing for bass and saw many but no hookups. Sean practiced the Race Rock Light drift. About ten casts to the rocks and nothing ate the fly.

Phil
Old 09-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Took my daughter's boyfriend sight fishing, second outing. This time my daughter went to the beach with family so we roamed further from the drop point.

Wind howling from the north, plenty of crap in the water but what the heck. Right away started seeing some big fish.

I watched one 38-40" cow pass me and told him to get ready. As it come closer, some bunker were nearby so the fish started chasing the bunker around his legs! Having not even had the chance to warm up (only his second time holding a flyrod) the fish circled around him feeding actively while not a shot could land in the zone. Frustrating but fun.

We saw a fair number of fish, they were extremely picky and hard to see in the howling north wind. Even the veterans took the stripe that day, but I won't name any names Myself included, although I only took a few shots.

Gorgeous to be out just the same.

Next morning ran into FredA at big girl. Some mung in the water but wow the structure was gorgeous. No sand eels around, a few small pods of bunker but a blitz out at the last bar was probably getting all the area fish's attention. Typical fall scenario on the backside. Wind howling from the north again.

Nice to fish the tide rip with a high-density beach line and the large Atlantis. Makes easy work of working the rip current. Wish there were some big girls around... maybe next time.

Lots of family activities, not too many chores and a little fishing - a wonderful weekend!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-06-2005, 10:33 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Nauset Beach/Pleasant Bay

OverSandLongRodMeister Jay Horton exploring some great low tide Nauset Beach structure...
There WILL be some insane Fall migration surf mayhem in bait holding outside bowls...mini mixed bag (stripes 'n blues) blitzes are already in progress on the inside...
Let the show begin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nauset Beach 005.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	4972  
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 AM

Garry (Polarezes) and I hit Morris on Saturday....we should have known!!!! Garry got a large blue and I, 2 large schoolies..all by 9 a.m......THEN....power boats, multiple hatches of kayaks and the fish went to France for safety. I actually had a woman in a kayak come 4 ft behind me and she asked if I was fishing..."not any more"...we left at noon....as did 4 other would be FF's. What were we thinking....Morris on Labor Day weekend???!!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
_

I took a ride to RI on Sunday. Tried the West Wall for a couple hours around high tide but didn't see or catch any fish. Checked Weekapaug, never even casted. Headed over to Watch Hill and found a parking spot after a few trips around the block, grabbed my gear and climbed over the dune to the beach. Despite the sunny skies and light winds, I found the sight-fishing to be rather difficult because of the numerous distractions . I did see a few fish and even had one follow but didn't connect. Seemed like everytime I saw a fish someone would walk behind me and prevent me from casting, or there were just too many people in the area to fish safely. Didn't see any blitzes but did see a couple of breaking fish in some thick pods of bait. The beautiful weather, water and scenery made it an enjoyable trip even though I didn't catch any fish.

Q
Old 09-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Thumbs down north wind

Had shots at bonito but no love. Bluefish save the day once again.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:07 PM

upper cape beaches and creeks

Had constant action all weekend ,medium to large stripers friday through monday,monday late afternoon brought huge blues slamming all the bunker trying to get back up the creek.Saturday morning right before dawn had a school of adult menhaden trapped against the shore with cow bass slicing ,rolling and busting out of the water,unfortunatly they were gone before I could tie on a larger fly,several of the menhaden got knocked on shore the largest was over a foot long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.