Should we rebuild New Oreans? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2005, 04:16 PM

flytyer,

Maybe it goes much deeper than that. We create the destruction nature can wrought? Untill modern society learns to ground its feet back on earth how can there be anything but what we are watching now on TV. It will happen again. The health of the environment starts with re-finding the environment of our souls and spirit. We do not have the courage to just say NO. You live in fast growing Skagit County and you see it every day, what will it take to change our ways? A big question,eh!

Everyone have a good holiday weekend and take some time if you can find time to see just where your feet are situated.
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 04:43 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
The old town of Sacramento, California was originally built at or below the natural flood levels of the Sacramento and American rivers, once a huge wetland. The original city did not survive the numerous floods as the levess were insufficient to keep the forces of nature contained. The present city was built upon the ruins of the old city, raising the street level some 12 feet. Though certain areas are still below the extreme high water level of the river, the city is now much safer. In spots you can still tour parts of the now underground old city. I don't know if this is feasable in New Orleans, I've never been there, sadly. It should be considered as a way to make the new city a safer place. The city will surely be rebuilt, one way or another.

I wonder what happened to those folks seen on the weather channel right after the storm passed over, before the flood water rose; those die hard revelers shown peeking out of the Bourbon street taverns with drinks in hand saying how it "wasn't so bad, just a bunch of broken glass". Very sad for those who could not flee, amazing how many chose to stay.
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2005, 06:43 PM

oc, while i agree with your sentiments about relying on one's self,that is not always doable, particularly in this day and age. moreover, as a nation/community it is all together fitting and proper that we get by in such times with a little help from our friends-so to speak. we pay lots of money in taxxes and take great pride in being so advanced. while we get a huge advantage just by being american, we do not get a huge amount back from our taxxes.competent help in the time of disaster is a small amount to expect and indeed require from those whom we choose to lead us. i remember a saying when i was a kid. charity starts at home. if we can spend a half a trillion dollars to rescue and rebuild a country 7000 miles away when it is not at all clear that we are wanted, then we can spend at least half that amount on our fellow countrymen and woman to say nothing of restoring a city of historical importance to the heritage of our country.. ok, i'll get off the soap box
Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Pullin' Thread

Moose,

And many of those revelers you mentioned were the tourists who are now complaining about getting stranded without food, water, and shelter.

OC,

Yep, I see it all the time here in Skagit County. The number of large retailers, car dealers, and people who have chosen to build on the flood plain, nearly at the edge of the levees in Mount Vernon and Burlington is nothing short of amazing to me. The 2003 flood came very close to going over these levees these folks and business think will protect them, and yet Burlington allowed a very large Home Depot and several other stores be built within 200 feet of the river on land that is lower than the car dealers who had to move all of their cars out to the Skagit airport to protect them in case the river topped the levee.

And the new neighborhood built in Burlington right next to the levee, which also includes senior housing, is another huge probem area.

The river only had to go 2' higher in 2003 for all these areas I mentioned to be under 15' of water.

But like you said, people think that the man-made levees are going to keep them from ever getting flooded. They will learn the hard way when the river tops the levees and destroys their homes and businesses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.