Abaco DIY? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 01:42 PM

Abaco DIY?

I'm thinking about heading to Abaco in October for a DIY mission. Does any one have experience/advice regarding DIY fishing in Abaco?

I have searched the archives and came up with Casuarina Point as an option. Are there other places to access via car and fish on foot?

Also any guide reccomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 AM
resigned

Check out Green Turtle Cay. Just go to keyword and do a search. Tons of info there. Fish will be challenging but the island is famed for it's beauty. Golf carts are the only method of transportation as well as rental boats. I have not been there but want to go. It's just offshore from Treasure Cay I believe.

Phil
Old 09-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I hear the marls are only accessible by boat and the east side is flatless ocean. Sounded to me like a boat rental would be necessary.

Google earth would indicate flats are on the Marsh Harbour area south on the west side (boat?) with the very best shorebound access on the east side of the island southeast of MH at Winding Bay and Hurricane Hole. Even that small gap o' green between the road and Hurricane Hole could be machete material.

My gut feel says it would be a great place to fish with the local talent but DIY would be best at that little haven to the SE or with some kind of craft on the west side.

There seem to be some road or road-like structures on a grid that might lead to shore access, but as you know the vegetation grows to biblical densities down there are entire towns can become jungles within a few years of being deserted.

BTW take a look at the flats of Acklins or Andros in comparison. However if you are going with your significant other it sounds like a very charming island overall.

Typically an isolated area like that SE corner does not get the guide traffic unless the island is heavily fished and it might be a great little DIY spot -or- it might not, but the one stark thing I notice is that discounting the west side flats there are very few roadside flats which to me mean "DIY spoken here".
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-02-2005, 04:17 AM
resigned

Cherokee Sound is an option. Check with Marsh Runner. I think he was there last year.

Phil
Old 09-03-2005, 09:28 AM

Juro,
I believe the access road you speak of is 1 miles south of the turn off to Cas Point.
It is owned by Netties of Abaco......once the premier bonefishing launching point, but has run down considerably in my opinion. The road is private and "Nettie will get you" if she finds any vehicles parked on her road or the boat launch point at the end of the road. Nothing like 4 flat tires, 4 miles down a jungle over grown road.......if ya know what I mean......for my money ? Cherokee....polos cottage...and fish with marty sawyer out of Cherokee.....just my opinion.

Mark
Old 09-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Very good advice indeed!

But to be clear it's not I who is interested in invading Nettie's or for that matter DIY on Abaco anywhere, I was simply providing opinions on aerial observation for Big Dave's inquiry. Good to know my sky-eye is still good, however the circumstances would be less than desireable to fish there and such advice is very good advice indeed.

I would imagine with the open ocean access that very large bones inhabit that corner. Dave, maybe you should work something out with Nettie directly?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-04-2005, 08:57 AM

Yep, the canal cut to open water at that location is a real freeway for bones on the incoming tide......they then feed left and right of the canal....a few times at the end of the day, as we headed down the canal after a day on the marls, eveyone was amazed ........."So, thats where they've been hiding all day !" It is accessable (or was before the big "canes" hit last year) with minor problems...go slow.....there is a ponding of water half way in....it has a very hard bottom...so no problems getting stuck. I agree, a visit to netties, a smile and a few bucks would probably get you back into that area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.