Hurricane Katrina - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Squire animal

Hurricane Katrina

Hurricane Katrina - Do you guys reckon she'll ruin the September fishing?
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005, 12:33 PM

I don't think Katrina will, normally if they are on the East side of Florida we get some swells. Sometimes if they push up the coast it can screw things up for a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2005, 01:18 PM

It's basically an inland storm at this point and moving through fast. It should do little toward upsetting the big pods of bait. Fingers crossed.

Lefty
Old 08-31-2005, 07:24 AM

Location: River Ness, River Conon, River Dee, Kyle of Sutherland
As long as your fishing is not disturbed??
Old 09-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I am counting on this storm, for us and our fishing anyway, to be a positive. Not to lessen the horrors and sadnes it has brought our compatriots to the south.

In the past, at least up here, a good freshet helps to push the young of the year alewifes out of the lakes and rivers, pulling in bass and blues drawn by the bait and warmer water. We haven't seen this in several years what with the lack of rain through the summers and the non existant fall floods.
Also the added rain will have the hydro companies dropping large amounts of water to accomodate the spring melt so I anticipate a good fall season this year. Hopefully this will translate into a large bait migration southward. I hope I can make it down that way for one last Cape trip.

Last edited by Chris; 09-01-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Pullin' Thread

I know this is hijacking the thread, but Katrina is a true national tragedy for the US. There are over 1 million people homeless (can you say refugee) from the New Orleans area alone. Officials still have no idea how many dead there may by, although I've heard estimates of several thousand. The majority of folks who didn't or couldn't' leave in New Orleans and the surrounding area have no potable water, no food, no homes, no bathrooms, no electricity, no gasoline, no phone service, water inundating most streets, and dead human and animal bodies floating in the water.

In addition to all this human misery Katrina left in her wake, 90% of the oil and gas production in the Gulf has been shut down, oil drilling rigs have been moved as much as 20 miles from where they were anchored and working, oil platforms have been damaged, refineries have been shut down either because of the water, storm damage, or lack of electricity to operate. I've seen reports of gasoline selling for $5.50/gallon and I'm very sure the price of natural gas, heating oil, gasoline, and diesel will rise accross the US and Canada.

Officials are saying it is going to be 12 to 16 weeks before people are going to be able to return to the New Orleans area. New Orleans is going to have to rebuild streets, water systems, sewer systems, bridges, docks, electric power lines, etc.

In short, Katrina is going to effect we who live in the US for several years.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Squire animal

I agree, it is now a tragedy. When I originally posted this thread no one knew just how bad things would become. Even from the U.K things look very bleak indeed.
Please disregard my original question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.