my new fishing hole... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
my new fishing hole...

My mom built a pond this spring in a field at her farm in upstate New York. It's a triangle sort of shape, about 175 x 175 x 250 ft, or a bit under a half an acre. The depth is about 10' and on two sides it slopes down pretty quickly, and on one side it's a bit more gradual. As soon as she built it I was bugging her about putting fish in it, and on a weekend visit I finally got her to do it!

We went to a hatchery about 1.5 hours away from her house and picked up thirty 30 8" catfish, 500 minnows, and 30 3" largemouth bass (total price $139). Everybody except for a couple of minnows survived the ride back and is now in the pond. The catfish keep the bottom clean, the minnows eat bugs, larvae, and stuff that makes the water dirty, and the bass keep the minnows in check so they don't overpopulate the pond. Now I just need to find out how long it takes a bass to grow to 10 lbs...

I've attached a pic of the pond during construction to give you an idea of its size. The bulldozer on the far bank is a full-sized model, not a toy. The pond hold approximately 650,000 gallons.

Future plans include the introduction of some grass carp to control the weeds. It'll take a couple of years for enough green stuff to grow to support the carp, maybe even 5 years. The fisheries manager said that 7-8 carp should keep it clean (and provide some great sport!). My mom is also going to add some water lilies to the pond, which I'm sure the bass will like. There's already cat tails growing on the banks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pond.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	4960  

Last edited by teflon_jones; 08-29-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005, 01:04 PM

Teflon,

Every boy needs a pond like that in his back yard. When you visit your mom you will have a hard time answering the dinner bell. Will it be spring fed with an outlet? You should put some one of your old Porche's in the pond for structure so the big ones have a secure home.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
It's just fed by runoff OC. My parent's property is pretty wet! It'll be nice to just walk out the back door and go fishing, even if the pond isn't huge. I can cast to the center of it with a 5 wt fly rod from a decent amount of the shore.

I bet they'd love to have a Porsche in there for a little structure...

p.s. How do you know about the Porsches?

Last edited by teflon_jones; 08-29-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005, 02:39 PM

Google search like you said! Everyone should have more than one hobby, eh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.