Western Maryland Trout Report - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 12:43 PM
believer in the 10 oz.

Western Maryland Trout Report

Just returned from a quick day trip to Western Maryland in search of some wild trout....found 'em. Despite downpours, wind, fog, and early morning cold temperatures the fishing was nothing short of excellent. I fished the Savage river due to time restraints and was rewarded with wild brook trout to eleven inches and browns up to eighteen. Maryland's Savage river is a high gradient tailwater that contains mainly wild brook and brown trout and some of the most difficult wading conditions of any trout stream that I have ever fished. I mainly concentrated on the abundant pocket water and fished attractors(Lime trude,ausable wulff) and small droppers(WD-40,midge pupa,ants) to suspecting lies. The fish were everywhere and jumped on the dry fly ninety percent of the time although the biggest landed brown of the day(18") fell for the the size 24 wd40 that was used as a dropper off the trude.

On another note I used a furled leader for the entire day and am not sure if I liked it or not. It was difficult for me to get enough slack in my presentation.

C'mon guys were are the reports from the Swift, Deerfield, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 04:32 PM

Sounds like a great day on the water. My fishing of late has been centered on warmwater species in rarely discussed waters so I'll leave it up to others to chime in with reports from the rivers you mentioned.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:08 PM

Northwest

FB,
Can't speak for the New England area, but Oregon has been crankin! Fished the upper Molala river Thurs. and Yesterday. Although under alot of preasure, she still gives them up. Pulled 10 Rainbows out of one hole to the amazement of a guy upstream, who walked down to ask what fly I had on (Tan Elk Hair Caddis-#18) They were all 8-10" good fighters, hitting the fly at or below surface level. I also picked up another Cutthroat, which tells me there might be a small population gaining a foothold.
Great report from W. Maryland, hope Katrina dosen't blow things out for you folks back east when she comes through!
Here's a pic of one of the holes I visited yesterday.

Deerhawk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	molup1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	4959  
Old 08-28-2005, 08:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
The Savage of the past

In June of 1964, I was completing advanced training at the Army Intelligence school in Baltimore. Knowing that I would be sent to Germany, probably for several years, I spent a weekend pass to drive my clunker to western Maryland (and why isn't that area part of West Virginia, anyway?). I stayed at a b.& b., and fished the Savage River. Being new to fly fishing, I don't recall that I caught any trout, but I enjoyed the experience.
That was my last trout fishing for three years. On the return, my rear axle went terminal, and I limped back to my base.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The Savage sounds like a great trout stream!

Regarding the Deerfield - on the way to the Salmon River Spey Clave I decided to take 'the scenic route' over the Mohawk Trail instead of the turnpike. Took a few layers off the brake pads on those passes but it was sure beautiful and worth the late arrival in Pulaski. I passed the Deerfield for miles and wondered why I am not on that beautiful piece of water more often! I am going to have to change that this fall when the foliage turns, maybe even instigate a Berkshires trout clave.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-29-2005, 09:07 AM

Nice Steve,

Sounds like a great trip - nice report.

I fished the Swift on Saturday - caught a bunch of little guys and a couple of toads. All of mine were caught subsurface but my friend got a bunch on terrestrials too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.