NH Coast- get out there, but bring a Kayak - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 PM

NH Coast- get out there, but bring a Kayak

After reading some glowing reports elsewhere, and chickening out because of the weather last night, I finally made it over to the coast tonight.

I found plenty of fish but very few close enough to shore to catch. There was a nice pod about 200 yards off the beach at my first stop in Hampton- they were just sitting there, never moved in closer.

I drove up 1A a ways and found a few more pods, all well out of range. I finally found some fish within spincasting range just north of Rye Harbor. I managed 4 twinkies as the fish moved in and out(mostly out). There were fish up for the better part of 3 hours, but 99% of that time they were well out of range.

I don't own a kayak, but I was wishing I'd brought my surfboard, or an innertube, maybe an inflatable mattress...

There's plenty of bait around and the fish know it. It's just a matter of putting the time in to find some fish in close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Too bad....

Matt,

Too bad they were out of range. I suppose I am lucky on 2 accounts:

1. I was standing in the middle of a big school 2 nights ago (they came in and surrounded the little point I was standing on).

2. I have a kayak.

There are plenty of guys in NH that float tube the surf on calm days. I may actually try that next week. You can actually borrow my tube if you like.

I will drop you a note if I am planning on heading out next week. If I do not have to go on a business trip then I will be fishing.

Mike
Old 08-26-2005, 07:02 AM

Mike, I have a float tube, but float tubing in current has always made me a bit nervous- I don't speak Portugese.

I think it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I stopped where I did because I thought the wind and tide would bring the fish to me- it just never happened. For all I know they might've been right up against the rocks 5 minutes to the north, or they might've moved into one of the spots I'd already passed just after I left. There's a lot of luck involved in hitting it right this time of year.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:51 PM

Well, I found the right spot tonight- all the schoolies you could catch on a chart/white clouser for almost 3 hours until the sun went down.

No big fish, but it was a heck of a time. The only casts that wouldn't catch fish were the ones that caught seaweed or snagged a peanut (or two- that was a first for me).

I'll be out for an hour or 2 bright and early- hopefully the fish will be right where I left 'em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.