Feeding the Need - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

View Poll Results: Do you patronize forum sponsors? If so, how many?
No, I resist all temptation. 1 5.26%
Yes, 1 but no more. 3 15.79%
Yes, 2 to 5. 7 36.84%
Yes, 5 to 10. 6 31.58%
Yes, 10 to 20. 1 5.26%
Yes, 20 to 30. 0 0%
Yes, 30+ ...don't tell my wife. 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 06:22 AM

Feeding the Need

Even though I've been a member of the Forum for a few years now, and have been aware of the sponsor banners, I just happened upon the complete Forum sponsor list.

I guess not having seen them all in one place before, I was suprised by the number of great sponsors. I was also a little surprised at how many I frequent ...umm...uhhh...it's a sickness I guess.

Which made me curious. By a show of hands, how many folks patronize the Forum sponsors? And if so, from the 35 sponsors or so listed on the sponsor list page, to how many have you (happily) forked over a few (ok a lot) of your hard earned greenbacks.

I'll start the bidding at 10-20...yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 09:46 AM

I counted 7 or 8, but I'm not sure what my answer--or the statistically limited data from the entire poll--would tell a current or future sponsor. I own a couple of Loomis surf rods and T&T fly rods; don't see the need for new rods in the immediate future. I loved my experience with Billington Sea Kayak--knowledgeable, experienced, friendly, patient people, but I'm not in the market for another kayak, paddle, etc. anytime soon. I buy stuff annually from Bear's Den and Saltwater Edge, but I'm sure not funding anyone's retirement or children's college tuition with a couple of bucktails or some hackle.

The power of forum sponsorships is in the number of sets of eyes in the targeted audience who see the banners day after day. While I'm grateful that these sponsors keep the lights on here, that would be about the ninth or tenth consideration--after functionality, reliability, service, price, geographical proximity, etc., that would influence my buying decision. Is this just a curmudgeonly old marketer's rant, or are the rest of you in a similar boat?

Last edited by Broadbill; 08-24-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbill
The power of forum sponsorships is in the number of sets of eyes in the targeted audience who see the banners day after day.
I think you've hit the nail right on the head with this comment. Pardon the dotcom (gag) phraseology, but it's mindshare. While your other points are valid, I think with the scope and depth of the Forum's membership (and non-members), any extended buying cycle factors are pretty much negated. Also worth noting, is the nominal investment required of sponsors (found the link about becoming a sponsor after my original post). I couldn't believe it. It's a friggin' bargain! My purchases alone have paid the annual dues for the sponsors I frequent, for at least one year on most and for several years running on a few others. And I'm far from a big spender compared to others I know strolling these halls. I'd also agree it's probably more out of a need/desire for the products and services than out of loyalty to the Forum (although that's part of it). Which brings me to my next point, which is to say, I'd imagine a more in depth survey might shed light on nuances between influence on the buying habits of relative newbies (like myself) versus "curmudgeonly old" veterans (that's you)

To contribute to the Forum keeping it's lights on, as you say, I usually try to make a separate contribution/donation. Maybe next year I'll just become a sponsor! Bigger bang for my buck.

Perhaps a more in-depth survey is also in order. Thanks Broadbill; leave it to a marketer to tell me my polling methods are flawed
Old 08-24-2005, 02:49 PM

of course!!!

how could i resist the fine T&T rods? dont put any more in my hands or else id have to buy them!!!

T&T , you make the finest rods in the world (exept for the sage LL , but they dont make em anymore)
Old 08-25-2005, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I've used/bought products of/from 3 of the sponsors, and have plans to use a couple more. A lot of them are charter businesses and honestly I don't have the money for charters. Of the fly shops, I really only need one, so I haven't visited the others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.