need advice - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 07:12 PM

need advice

Hello all
I am planning a trip to take my father on this october. He taught me how to flyfish back when i was 10yrs old. I guess I feel I need to start giving back to thank him for the gift of fly fishing.

To start I want to take him to western NY to fish the oak orchard and maybe a few other tribs. I have tried researching the rivers and fishing conditions...but really all the web sites say pretty much the same thing.

We are going in the middle of oct for about 5 days.

If you guys have any....I mean any advice please let me know. Need advice on tackle, leaders, flies...ect. I have a general understanding of this type of fishing however....I am only a student of this sport and am very eager to learn.. In terms of fish we are looking for....it doesn't matter...Browns, steelies...salmon.

thanks everyone Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2005, 07:54 AM
FFF CCI

Well, I'll get things started by suggesting that, if you're going to NY, a few days in Roscoe would be a great place to visit. It's considered the home of flyfishing in America, the Catskill Flyfishing Museum and, if I remember correctly, over 1200 miles of fishable river within an hour's drive of Roscoe. It would be quite an experience for your father if he hasn't already been there.

Visit this site for starters:

Roscoe
Old 08-21-2005, 09:14 PM
I'd rather be fishing

check out the book: Flyfisher's Guide to New York by Eric Newman

this book contains all the info you will need for oak orchard creek as well as surrounding tribs.
it also includes what to expect, what tackle to use, where to stay, and local fly shops to contact.

likewise contact the people at oak orchard flyshop. this is a local fly shop that should be able to answer all of your questions

enjoy
Old 08-22-2005, 08:44 PM

Hey thanks for the info...I have already ordered the book. I am just waiting on amazon to sent it out. I will contact the fly shops for sure. I know it will be very busy on the river...I just can't wait to get out there with the old-man. I'd love to see him hook up with one of those big steelies or browns.

Thanks greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.