SB Musings - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 PM

SB Musings

Hi All...figured I'd write a report of my experiences the last 3 times I've gone out on the flats (once each time the last 3 weeks) and give people something to read at least. The explanation for the lack of reports from SB on this site, other than BFT, the last few weeks is that I've fished there almost in total isolation....2 weeks ago, I was the only one on Keith's shuttle. Hooked up once with FishHawk and once with Jim S..
In brief.....the catching part of fishing has been hit or miss....more misses than hits....my 3 week catch rate has been: zippo, followed by 7 (including 2 keepers, one at 34 1/2 inches and none under 19 inches, and 3 (all schoolies).
The only discernable pattern has been than when you are at the right place at the right time and they are feeding...you get fish......when not....nada. On the 2 days I caught fish all were in a short time frame (45 minutes to 1 1/2 hrs), the rest of the day I shot blanks. The day I got skunked I saw almost 200 fish and got 2 follows......the good day, I fished the low at the edge of the channel and they hammered the fly and there were 100's of 1,000's on micro bunker on the flats, all swimming relaxed later and not a fish to be sighted....the last time with Jim, we got fish on the outgoing and then got major munged in and saw very few fish and next to no bait, on the incoming all afternoon.
All 3 weeks I used the only fly that either got a follow or a fish (Bender's olive shrimp fly)....however, Jim got fish on a small peanut fly and FishHawk reported that a guy was hitting them on a small gray over white clouser....thus I repeat myself....when they are feeding actively and you are on fish...you get them.
So....if they hit on the flats, they don't on the drop off...if they hit on the drop off at low, they don't hit on the flats.....one day they hit on incoming but not on the drop....then hit on the drop, but not the incoming....so...I have figured it out....the fish at this time, despite their pea sized brain are totally in charge.....stay the day...one of the tide stages usually works, but you won't know till it happens Either way, being there beats repairing the door the tool shed!
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 05:29 AM

What I noticed on the Flats is that these fish that are difficult to catch were the PHD fish. Saw a dark ball of bait near a drop off and a clear circle in the middle of the bait with a large striper in the middle. Then the fish would slam into the bait ball sucking down a bunch of bait. This in only six inches of water. Quite a lesson.
You have to be on top of your game and stay focused. Every day is different on the Flats. Once you think you have the answer there is always something to figure out. That's why I keep coming back, it's the challenge. Oh by the way don't follow Ron, that's another story.
FishHawk

Last edited by FishHawk; 08-22-2005 at 05:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.