new guy needs some advice - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 08:17 PM

new guy needs some advice

I'm relatively new to fly fishing this year. I have a Reddington 5wt combo that I recieved a few years back as a gift, but I never got around to learning how to fly fish. Well, after a trip to the Ausable(NY) river this summer, i got the itch to get going! I got myself a Cabelas 7pc 5wt rod that I can take on the bike when the urge hits too. I know its a KPOS to the ROFF guys, but for the price, i couldn't beat it, and it seems pretty darn nice.

I've been out for trout a few times on the Genesee, but it's been a really hot summer here. Hoping to get back down there when it cools off a bit.

Anyhow, I'm thinking I'd like to try steelhead this year on the Erie tribs. I'm thinking of getting a 9'6 or 10' 8wt rod for this and possibly some salmon fishing as well.
Any advice, pro-con's to either one as far as length would be appreciated. I'd like to stay in the $200-250 range for both the rod and reel if possible.

Thanks for any help....Seems like a great forum. I've been doing quite a bit of reading

Last edited by HawgFlies; 08-19-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2005, 01:15 PM

Lightbulb

H,

Well congrats on getting "Hooked" ...

As for a steelhead/salmon rod, ... there are lots of good sticks out there. I only recently had a chance to try out the TFO rods and I was impressed (not just 'cause they are sponsors here).

The $$ part of your heavy rod is the reel. The reel on heavier rods is (imho) a bit more important than on a small trout rod. You need a good smooth drag and enough space for backing. The TFO reels look good, ... but I haven't tried them, ... so I can't comment. http://www.templeforkflyrods.com

One indestructible reel I've had for years (one of my first salmon reels) is a Cortland LTD 120 (which I think got bumped when the Vista Turbine came out). Their reels go for less than 100$ USD.

Good luck, ... choosing new gear can be daunting/frustrating. If you can , ... hit a shop that'll let you try before 'ya buy. A heavy rod can get REALLY HEAVY real quick, ... so casting one first is desirable.

p.s. ,... Only MY personal preference, .. but a 10 ft rod is a blast. More line control for reaching, bumping and rolling.

Last edited by fcch; 08-20-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:24 PM

As usual Chris has some very good advise. Sage, another sponsor, also has some rods in your price range.

I would also recommend going to a good fly shop in your area and getting some hands on testing with some of there rods. Or call one of our sponsor fly shops. They are all very good.

I also live in the WNY area so send me a PM if you need any more assistance. I know the owners and managers of just about every shop in the area.

Charlie.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dornblaser
If you have not already, I would suggest taking casting lessons.

David
Old 08-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I stopped into Buffalo Outfitters and The Oak Orchard shop on Saturday. They both have limited stock right now, but are expecting shipments of steelhead gear soon. I did check out a TFO and a Sage Fli rod though...both seem pretty nice for the money.

I'm going to take some casting lessons soon too.

Too many choices...not enogh money
Old 09-11-2005, 07:46 AM

cheap quality answer

Hawg fly I am a ausable veteran ,and also a steelhead salmon guy. I would urge you to look at Orvis for high quality goods at a low price. They offer a 10' 8wt with a large arbor reel lifetime on rod and 2 yr. on reel for around 530.00 dollars which is cheap in this arena. good fishing to you and good luck
P.S. most shops will include line and backing if you dicker a little.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info Chrome King.

I ended up getting a St. Croix 9'6" imperial for a decent price( lifetime warranty too, with case) and I picked up a used Tioga 8wt reel from a local shop while up fishing the Ausable over labor day weekend. Got that for a nice price too.

Had a great time fishing the Ausable, such an awesome river to be on, let alone catch fish. We caught some some nice trout, no trophies, but nice fish. Next year I plan on getting a guide...money was too tight this year.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.