Fishing report - Southeastern MA LMB - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2005, 09:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Fishing report - Southeastern MA LMB

Just a quick report on last night's fishing excursion. I went over to Lake Merrimichi in N. Attleboro/Plainville for a couple of hours. The lake is getting increasingly weedy every day, so poppers and floating divers are the order of the day. I got there at about 6:30 and paddled my float tube through the milfoil to where there were a few less weeds (if you haven't paddled a float tube through weeds, don't try it ). I had no luck for the first half hour or so, then nailed three small LMB in 3 casts on my Teflon's Diver. You can find tying instructions here: http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=20999 . Most of the strikes came on the first little bit of retrieve after letting the fly sit for a few seconds after hitting the water. I lost a couple of fish too, then the action dried up for the next half hour. I decided to switch to a popper like this http://images.orvis.com/orvis_assets...g/12A74000.jpg . I'm glad I did because I got 3 fish in my first 3 casts! They were all small LMB and I was just in a random spot near the middle of the lake with no pads around, just milfoil. I missed several fish when trying to set the hook, but I think I landed about 4 or 5 more after the first 3. It got totally dark as I paddled to shore, but I kept blind casting anyway. I got one more LMB just as the fly hit the water, and one big panfish that had the hook through its nose.

All in all, a pretty good night on the water! Total fish count was about a dozen.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 08-17-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 09:43 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
. . . The lake is getting increasingly weedy every day, so poppers and floating divers are the order of the day. I got there at about 6:30 and paddled my float tube through the milfoil to where there were a few less weeds (if you haven't paddled a float tube through weeds, don't try it ). . . .
Milfoil can be nasty. When I row through the thick stuff it will bog down the oars so that I can't even move them. Is your float tube the kind that you propel with your legs? I can't even imagine trying to kick through that stuff!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Is your float tube the kind that you propel with your legs?
Yup, it is! It's one heck of a workout. But when it's your only watercraft, and you're a fishing addicted moron like me, you go out anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.