bangor area smallies report - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 PM

Smile bangor area smallies report

my boys and i spent a couple of days fishing for smallies in the area between bangor and camden on the pennobscot river last weekend. the weather was a cross between bright and sunny and overcast. surpirsingly most of the fish were had in the middle of the river by my boys using spin tackle with soft plastic worms while i had success casting poppers to the banks on my 6 wt and lesser success with dry flies, wooly buggers and clousers cast to both the bank and in the deeper outer waters on my 5 wt. althought the guide recommended 8 wt and 7 wt rods, i found them to be overkill although helpful when throwing large poppers and large crayfish patterns (which yielded little). we could discern no difference in the action for any time of the day. although we had a few fish in the 3-4 pound range, most were between 1.5 and 2.5 pounds. it's a great place for both the serious bass angler as there are many challanges between the fast water, overhangs and problematic structure ( weeds and trees in the water). similarly the kids will have a ball and less problems in the more open areas toward the middle of the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005, 08:55 PM
_

Great report! Poppers are more fun than subsurface flies anyway, although you may have been getting hits on the crayfish flies but not detecting them. When I was at Saratoga Lake, NY, I tried some crayfish flies and was surprised when I didn't get hit right away, as there were hungry smallies everywhere. I tested a fly on a couple fish that I could see and they would hit the fly and spit it out before I could even set the hook. I never felt a thing! With a popper you definitely know when you get a hit !

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Fly chucker

When I was at the University of Maine (Orono), I would spend many free hours in the month of September fishing the Kenduskaug (sp?) River, which is a tributary of the Penobscot. A short 15 minute ride from campus is all it took to get into some serious smallmouth action, and it was all wade fishing.

Beautiful area, great people....glad you had a good time with the kids.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.