College fishing course - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
College fishing course

This is pretty cool. I wish I went to this college!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

COOPER LANDING, Alaska - Curt Muse stood on the cobbled shore of a creek, casting a 3-weight fly rod upstream as a dozen students — all middle-aged or older — watched.

Muse was the day's guest lecturer for the Kenai Fishing Academy, a weeklong class offered four times a summer by Kenai Peninsula College, a branch of the University of Alaska Anchorage.

As the students looked on, the longtime guide spotted a sockeye salmon, red as a fire hydrant but easy to miss swimming above colored rocks and below the rippled surface.

"You can barely see that fish and he's red," Muse observed.

Now in its third year, the noncredit course is aimed at fishing novices or anglers new to Alaska who want to avoid learning by reading how-to books or trolling for tips from salesmen at sporting goods stores.

The academy was the brainchild of Gary Turner, the college's director and an avid fisherman who helps teach classes.

"I thought, we need to educate people and teach them how to fish," Turner said. "It just seemed natural."

The college in Kenai, a town of about 7,000 about 155 miles southwest of Anchorage, takes up 900 feet of riverbank on the Kenai River, known for its world-class rainbow trout and king, sockeye and silver salmon.

"We're trying to push our education mission to meet the avocations of people, or their external interests," Turner said.

Turner turned the idea over to Dave Atcheson, the college's night class coordinator and the author of a book on Kenai Peninsula fishing.

Atcheson assembled friends, guides and local experts to put on a week's worth of classes and outings.

For about $1,100 — $300 more with food and housing — the college offers 20 hours of classroom time and field trips that include flying to a remote lake, an excursion to the ocean or a float trip down the Kenai River. The tuition is in the same price range as that of booking individual day trips, said Atcheson, who also worked for the state as a fish and game technician.

"The idea is to teach people how to fish, but also to teach them all that goes along with being a good steward of the land and resources," Atcheson said.

In the general fishing class, students backtroll for king salmon, bounce herring off the ocean floor for halibut and fling spinners for trout.

In the fly fishing class, students learn the basics of casting and fly selection, then try to catch sockeye salmon, rainbow trout or Dolly Varden in streams, rivers and lakes.

Classroom sessions focus on gear and topics that novices may overlook, such as river hydrology, insect life, filleting fish, cold water survival and bear encounters.

Mike Todd, a surgeon, moved from San Francisco to Anchorage seven years ago. He took both classes with his brother, William Todd-Mancillas.

"I had never gotten out and done this," Mike Todd said as he tied a tapered leader with knots he'd learned in the classroom. "It's such a drag being in Alaska and not knowing how to fish."

His brother, who teaches interpersonal communications at California State University, Chico, cheerfully acknowledged his lack of skills.

"I know nothing about fishing," Todd-Mancillas said. "I'm starting from the ground up. Even if I retain 20 percent, that will be infinitely more than I knew before."

Several students had fished previously, but not with a fly rod.

"It's a lot easier than I make it out to be," said Dan Zelenko, who wanted angling skills after retiring to Wyoming's Jackson Hole this year.

Dan and his brother, Ron, came in expecting to be bored by the 20 hours of classroom time. They were pleasantly surprised by their interest in river hydraulics and entomology.

"It's just amazing what goes on in these rivers," Ron Zelenko said.

___

On the Net:

Kenai Peninsula College Fishing Academy: kenaifishingacademy.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Neat!!

This is great!!

There should be schools all over the world!!

Courses to learn; casting, reading waters, tying knots, "river etiquette", handling fish and discovering new waters etc...

(Last semester then send you somewhere in the world to fish...)

Cheers!!

A..
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Pullin' Thread

Penn State University has been offering a semester long course in fly fishing for full college credit since the 1940's. This was the first fly fishing class at an American college or university and it is still very much alive. There are now more than the single class that Harvey taught, now there are five sections of the class in spring semester each year.

George Harvey started the class, Joe Humphreys (who learned how to fly fish from Harvey) took over after Harvery retired, and since Joe retired in the 80's, there have been two more professors teaching the class (one of whom has also retired).

I was fortunate to have taken the class from Joe back in 1973 when I was an undergraduate at Penn State. I know there are other colleges and universities offering courses in fly fishing now and am of the opinion that anyone going to one of those schools ought to take advantage of the fly fishing course.

Glad to see that others are now getting schools to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.