Wild browns in Croatia - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2001, 10:06 AM

Wild browns in Croatia

Had a chance to enjoy a couple of spectacular days fishing for native brown trout in Croatia. This country was recently in a war, and I was pleased to find that despite (or perhaps because of) perceived security issues, there is great fishing to be had.
I spent a day at the Krka river national park ('Krka' on any search engine) where only guided barbles C&R fly fishing is allowed. It was immediately clear that a 'fish on every cast' is feasible, as 'original' i.e. pre-man trout density is maintained so people can get an idea of what incredible numbers of fish a stream can maintain. Due to a total lack of fishing pressure, they are not very educated, and 6" - 14" brown and 'marble' trout are indeed very easy to catch. After less than an hour, we moved off to try for larger ones, and managed a ~6lb and 8.5 lb, totally native, wild browns in an afternoon's fishing. A great day, and well recommended to anyone. Only drawback is perhaps too many uneducated small fish, making it seem a bit too easy. We fished from a driftboat, me with a 6 wt and the guide with an ancient bamboo outfit. Regular nymphs and streamers did the trick. There were no hatches in evidence.
The river is beautiful limestone, with a perhaps 1500 cfm flow. To fish, check in at any entrance and ask for park rangers. The ticket people are clueless. Do not even think of casting until clearing the formalities, or you'll find yourself in a nightmare. They are serious about protecting this fishery!

I fished a second day on the Cetina river, with guide arranged by Sv. Mihovil hotel in Trilj. http://www.dalmacija.net/trilj/h_svmihovil.htm This is an artificial lure only river but ewith a 3 fish/day limit, so fishing is a bit tougher. there are several C&R sections. The scenery was absolutely beautiful, and I did get 3 wild browns 10" - 14'. It's a classic karst limestone river with a ~2500 cfm flow, which is close to its natural maximum due to recent rains and snow runoff.

In summary, a spectacular experience where one would not expect to find one. I was glad to see that despite some hand-grenade and gillnet fishing during the recent war, they were smart enough to protect what is sure to become a major 'discovered' fishery. BTW, I heard from the guides that Plitvice national park, a bit further north, offers equally spectacular C&R trout fishing, but didn't have a chance to check it out. (Also, guided big-game hunting for brown bear, chamoix, bighorn sheep and wild boar is available and I understand, worthwhile.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2001, 11:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Josko! Awesome report, and as usual you spared nothing to bring us the 'exotic'. I have heard of the marble trout before, are they akin to the tiger trout hybrid occuring naturally perhaps? It's fascinating to hear of 8.5 pound wild browns in an unadulterated river, in a country not known for it's fishery. I'm sure that was a trip you won't soon forget.

Juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.