Southeastern MA report - LMB, bluegill, etc. - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Southeastern MA report - LMB, bluegill, etc.

Thought I'd post a report on the lake fishing I've done in the last few weeks. I've visited a couple of mud holes around here, Falls Pond and Lake Merrimichi (sp?). I've been fishing in the morning and cloudy days definitely are producing much better than sunny. In general though, there's not a lot of bass around and even the sunfish are getting kind of slow. I usually get 2 bass and a dozen sunfish each trip. The fish are mostly hitting on minnow imitation flies just under the surface, and due to the shallow water and weeds a fly I tie similar to a Dahlberg diver has been the # 1 fly for me. Unfortunately, I've lost most of the ones I tied this winter to lily pads, and a couple to big bass, so I need to tie up some more!

Falls Pond is relatively infertile with scattered weeds and one small spot with a lot of pads, which is of course where I spend the majority of my time. I've caught a few decent bass out of there in the last few weeks, one 18", one 16"+ and one 14". I also lost a couple of fish in the 16"- 18" range. It's been very slow though and last Sunday was the slowest day. The big fish on the day was an 11" bass.

Merrimichi has really gotten pretty weeded in, but there's some big fish in there. Paddling the float tube around get interesting when there's so many weeds, but when my father-in-law's available his canoe is just the ticket. I lost a 5+ lb bass a few weeks ago as I was about to lip it. I got him on a yellow bucktail streamer. Otherwise, I've mostly been using the Dahlberg-like fly to keep above the weeds. I've gotten a couple of fish in the 12-14" range each time I go out, but that's it.

My instructions for tying my Dahlberg variation will be posted in the fly tying section shortly.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 08-09-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Hi Scott, Nice write-up. I look forward to seeing your modified dahlberg pattern. I've played with a few myself. Pardon my noseyness but noticed your location and was wondering if you are a member of Cross Roads Anglers? ( I was a member back when local fishing legond, Armand Cruchane was president.) Havn't wet a line ( or spun a story) with Armand in a few years now. Man could he tie and fish a bass bug! Hope you had the opertunity to fish with him.

(p.s. I'm in Westport in EXTREEM SE Mass )
Old 08-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Hey W.H. Nope I'm not a member of Cross Roads Anglers. My father-in-law and I have our own two person fishing club that eats up all of our free time.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
My father-in-law and I have our own two person fishing club that eats up all of our free time.
Well, I guess ;
a) That makes it easy to get a majority vote at the meetings
b) gives Mrs Jones plenty of "us" time with her mother.
Enjoy
Old 08-15-2005, 07:10 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
. . . I lost a 5+ lb bass a few weeks ago as I was about to lip it. I got him on a yellow bucktail streamer. Otherwise, I've mostly been using the Dahlberg-like fly to keep above the weeds. . . .
Oh well, you were gonna let her go anyway, right ? Still, it's nice to get the big ones in hand so you can pull the salad off and get a good look and maybe a photo. Divers have been good to me this year also.

Great report!

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.