Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hot Rainbows in Central CA

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  nickcsus 
#1 ·
In the last two weeks I have been to Redding to fish the Lower Sacramento twice. Despite temperatures in the low 100's, this river stays at 55 degrees and fishes like a champ. On the river itself is like drifting in an evaporative cooler! It felt like someone opened the refrigerator door!

I landed 15+ fish on each 4 hr. float with smaller fish 12-16" on one day and much larger, much chunkier 14-20" fish on the other. It gets no finer than floating this river in the heat of summer. There's even a little dry fly action for those so inclined as it gets close to sunset.

Thanks for all the interesting reports around the country!

Nick in Sacramento

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Ah, the best time is in the spring when the flows are low and the caddis are coming off in clouds. Yes very hot fish but it can be a little stinky near the pooper plant. I haven't fished there in 15 years.

#7 ·
No sign (or smell) of anything stinky in any of my trips. I will be going back again next Wednesday, so I will keep my nose tuned in.

Steelhead action begins soon below Anderson I am told so what could be better than going out for rainbows and happening upon a monstrous steelie to make your day....

Nick in Sacramento

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.