silversides - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 02:30 PM

silversides

The upper capes creeks a chock full of silversides,as well as the beaches along the bay.I was down at old harbor creek this morning ,no wind flat calm seas,as far out as you could see the silversides could be seen dimpling on the surface,as the tide started to flow out they merged into schools ,some as large as 60 -70 ft around 2-3 ft thick.Thats the good news,the bad news they went unmolested,there were a couple of breaking fish out in the middle of the creek which I assume were resident schoolies.When the offshore fish find them I'm expecting epic blitzes.Tomorrow calls for NNW winds 10-15 mph,usually with this wind this area coupled with the amount of bait explodes.Several years ago with this simular set up produced a blitz of stripers and 12 lb and up blues that lasted through the out going tide and continued into the flooding tide .Will history repeat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

I love the way the bayside creeks can become bait traps - like you I've seen this happen over the years. The biggest I ever saw had the sky black with gannets pummeling the water for mid-sized herring and the easiest big fish action I have ever experienced probably in my life at the opening to Chase Garden on the Chapin side. It was pretty late in the fall and I only saw two other fishermen and no cars on the beach party sand bar at Chapin.

Also have seen the inside bowls at the east end of Cold Storage packed with bunker, and Sesuit harbor chock full of silversides as well as the creek at Saint's Landing an acre of emerald sand eels.

Should be a good late summer / fall this year as far as the bait situation goes.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-02-2005, 08:58 PM

I've seen Chapin choked in with peanuts, a school that stretched literally for a mile and had crashing birds and fish for several days. The school was so thick that it was tough not to snag the bait, but we caught lots of good fish out on that far bar. I've never seen the herring at Chase Garden. I haven't been there late fall, however. I always spot some sand eels at Bass Hole/mouth of Chase Garden, and sometimes the fishing's great there, but the peanuts I saw were out in front of Chapin itself, off that last bar you can walk out to at low tide. Strangely, I always see silversides in that general area and rarely see the fish on them. For instance, go to Corporation beach any summer night and shine a flashlight and you'll have silversides up to 6 inches jumping all over the place with no predators to be seen or caught, at least by me. Same thing at the Sesuit jetties sometimes. One Labor Day weekend, as the tide filled in, I saw a massive school of bass move in along the Harbor View side (isn't that what the non-Cold Storage side is called), and silversides were milling all along the jetty, but the bass left them alone. In fact, they swam right through and by the schools. And, as you might expect, I got follow after follow by nice sized bass but didn't get a single one to commit in two hours of casting.
Anyway, you guys have me jonesing. I'm in Yarmouthport for the last two weeks of August thru Labor Day, and hope that area produces. Anyone wanting to fish, send me an email. Can't wait.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 AM
viking

Cool chase garden &creeks

WHERE IS CHASE GARDENS, & THE CREEKS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. THANKS JOHN
Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Middle Aged Member

Gettin a bit too specific arn't we.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

John -

The creeks start by the canal in Sandwich (e.g. Scorton) and continue to Dennis (Sesuit, Quivett), Brewster (Paines), then if you could count Rock Harbor as a creek, then up to Pamet, etc.

Since bait moves constantly one never knows which one will get the masses at any given time, or as Paul points out which will get the bait and bass to converge but when they do...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.