Surgeon's Knots - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Surgeon's Knots

There are a few of these gadgets around that help tie this knot faster and easier.
The one I use is a brass spring loaded pencil shaped tool often seen and demo at winter fly shows.

We all know the operating room doctors tie this knot quite frequently hence the name.
Recently I asked a few operating attendants on board which one of the tools they preferred. They said “What?????” We use are fingers. What a rip off.
Must keep fees down not having all those instruments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Um. I may be mistaken, but isn't a surgeon's know pretty much just an over hand knot? I can't think of any tool that could possibly make it any easier. I use the triple version all of the time for tippet. Bulky yet strong and fast.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:39 PM
President of CAC

Ray Has a point..although it is an easy overhand knot... when you have two different lengths,,,it is not easy to make sure you crimp it down correctly...if you are tieing leaders, and one end is 4 or 5 feet and the other inches......Not tied correctly it looses 50 persent of it's strength. That is why...for a loop as oppose to a straight knot, I will use the perfection loop, fast, easier and stronger. for leaders the barrell knot is easy, especially with a tool ..for leaders....but I don't tie leaders.... just a length of mono.... looped with a perfection loop at the butt end... This is the method I taught my classes in the Fly fishing school...keep it simple.

Last edited by striblue; 10-17-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.