? about tubes - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 10:45 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
? about tubes

ok i got myself one of those tube fly holders off ebay and am looking for a bit more info about them i'll mostly be fishing for warmwater fish with some trout and steelhead thrown in

thanks in advanced

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 09:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
I've been playing with tube flys for warmwater fishing.

Get some q-tips with plastic tubes and cut the ends off and cut them to size. They make awesome deer hair bass bugs that float like a cork because there is less hook than if you tie on a standard bass bug hook. They also seem to be a bit more weedless than a standard bass bug without a weed guard. Oh, and they are CHEAP!

I've been playing with brass and aluminum tubes from the model/hobby shop. I'm having a hard time lining these tubes, and will probably just buy pre-made ones. I tied some bucktails and wooly buggers on copper and aluminum tubes. The copper tubes land and sink like a rock so you can get down REALLY deep. The aluminum ones have almost neutral bouancy and have a really good action in the water.

It's a little hard to find good tube fly hooks. I've been shoping locally and no one carries a relatively lightweight 2x or 3X short hook that is appropriate for tube flys. Consider ordering some tube fly specific hooks. Tube fly hooks are short HEAVY hooks that are used to catch big steelhead. They are probably a bit too heavy for warm water fish, but they are the only quality short hooks available. Even though they are heavy they seem to give tube flies a better action than other hooks. Even the bass bugs. RedShed, (who is a site sponsor), has some here along with a bunch of other tube supplies:

http://www.redshedflyshop.com/TUBEFLYSUPPLIES.html

I'm planing on ordering some more once I use up what I have.

Ask if you have any more specific questions.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.

Last edited by baldmountain; 07-28-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:37 AM

Tubing for Tube flies

tubes from q-tips are fragile and do not last well. That removes one of the major advantages of tube flies, durability. Search "tubes" on this forum and on speypages to get a lot of information.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin

Last edited by t_richerzhagen; 07-28-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_richerzhagen
tubes from q-tips are fragile and do not last well. That removes one of the major advantages of tube flies, durability. Search "tubes" on this forum and on speypages to get a lot of information.
How durable is a deer hair bass bug? Considering we purposly cast them into weeds, sunken branches and trees we a more likely to loose them before the tube breaks.

Since they are so inexpensive, I think they are a great way to experiment before investing in expensive tubes.

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:06 AM

Tube Supplies

When I started tying tube flies, I bought plastic, aluminum and brass tubes in different sizes from England in quantity. There are several companies that sell on line, and it doesn't really take all that long to get your merchandise.

Hooks designed for tube flies (needle eyes) are also available.

One thing I haven't been able to find is the very small diameter plastic tubing that you insert into the brass tubes to reduce leader abrasion. I got some from an orthodontist, but there must be a more ready source.

Petri heil,

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.