SB Curiousity - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 06:51 PM

SB Curiousity

Has anyone done any of the following at SB the past week:
1. fish
2. practice casting accuracy
3. show the bass your complete collection of flies
Just curious, am tentatively planning to hit SB this Friday, despite a dreaded North wind direction....will probably go anyway, but interested if severe striper lockjaw is still occuring.
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 08:15 AM

The North wind is a killer. Ever time I fish the North wind it is very difficult to catch fish. However, presentation and getting the fly into the strike zone is the key. From my observations , if you cast your fly and it's not in the zone where it looks natural to these Phd fish forget about it. The reason why I like this type of fishing is that when you catch one you have earned it. FishHawk
Old 07-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Middle Aged Member

Geez, latest intellicast has modest east wind swinging to SW and partly sunny. Not so bad, except the tide's not so great.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 PM

You're right...weather forecast changed and improved.....tides not great...but an opportunity to go cannot be turned down :-)
Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Latest changes I've witnessed are a severe warmup inside and the arrival of great shoals of sand eels outside. The Chatham mooch fest is in full swing (mooching is a term coined in the PNW for drifting slowly to keep a 45 degree angle in the line deep). Old school dog days have set in on the flats. With good flow, the fish were there but had attitude problems. Now with the constriction I am not sure they can tolerate the temps (o2 loss) thru the bottom of a mid-day low.

The water temps were striped with cold and bathwater in unusually short alternating bands last wkend, with a noticable absence of fish on the usual flats, but with a likely shift to other locations I have on the agenda to explore. I spoke with Jim Bender of Lower 40 who experienced the same absence of fish, so there's the second opinion and it's a good one at that.

With the arrival of large sand eels on the outer beach comes more activity along the inlets and beaches, in fact I stopped for a few blues at the light before calling it a day and the tourists hooked into a nautilus submarine of a bass while I was there. It was the wrong tide but I am hot to trot for the next chance to dance with the big girl at dawn or dusk.

Oversand coverage of the big beaches (e.g. Nauset) during the off hours or fast tides should result in some screaming drag burn.

Bayside should be void of the current storm surge / rip tides they are talking about from the offshore storm, and it's been fishing very well for those who time the tides safely and purchase a parking permit from the townships to gain access to the flats on mid-day low tide changes.

Have a great weekend if you hit it... almost time to see bunker at the elbow.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Middle Aged Member

Looks like a dawn sortie for the incoming at big girl/rocks or kayak bayside Saturday and Sunday with winds dictating venue. Sunday afternoon bayside incoming might be interesting. Other than that, it's dump trips, paint and yard work.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 PM

Friday SB results: mid day low...not the greatest of tides.....A.M. outgoing....saw about 50 fish....had four follows almost to my feet.....had a keeper on for about 3 minutes...but sad to say, despite being careful, he broke my 8lb tippet when I stupidly tried to turn him.... saw the follow and take...the highlight of the day.
P.M. headed to the southway...19 boats in the pond plus beachers....not worth the walk....on the way back (early to mid incoming) saw a grand total of 7 fish in 3 1/2 hours....one follow.
I tried a # of flies....FYI, the only fly that got the hit and the follows was an 1 1/2" Ray's fly (pearl flashaboo wrapped the length of the shank ( no silver tinsel)) tied very sparse...olive over white and 3 strands of black deer hair on top instead of peacock herl.
2 other guys fishing....NADA...the lone guy fishing Monomoy...never saw a fish!
All but 4 seals on the flats between S and N Monomoy....saw quite a few very small sand eels(inch and a half, olive over white/silver)...sad to say, they looked very relaxed and stress free.
Keith said that the southway is even more narrow than a couple of weeks ago....can you say .....SB MARSH?????
Will try. try again :-)
Ron
Old 07-30-2005, 06:41 AM

Good report Ron. I'm on vacation this coming week and will have a chance to try some new waters plus give these fish a shot. Have my yak so who knows what I'll find. FishHawk
Old 08-01-2005, 08:42 AM

Sounds like the new Southway has changed things around a bit. PS for you guys that liked it better last year they have a petition at Fishing the Cape to dredge the channel...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.