homemade sinktips... - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 02:26 PM

homemade sinktips...

greetings,

I have been given a 30' roll of rio T-14 shooting head.

I 'd like to make some shooting heads for my 8'6" 6wt flyrod. I use a Weight Forward floating line.

on most occasions i can just loop on an airflo or rio sinking leader and get down to depth. However there are many occasions where i need to get deeper perhaps 15 to 20' or more.

I wonder what the best length would be for making sinking tips out of this rio T-14? and still have a nice casting line?

has anyone had experience using the rio T-14 attached to a floating line?

thanks for any help.

tws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2005, 09:26 PM

I don't think it will be possible to add t14 to a floating line, and hope that it will still cast well.
Maybe something like: cut 20' off the head and add 10' of t14?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 PM

Thanks Eddie,

that's the part i'm missing... still sussing this shooting head business out.

apparently i must dedicate a floating line to the shooting head. for certainly if i cut off 20' from a used wf floating line it will only be good for the T-14 attached...

was hoping someone had the formula for amount of T-14 to respective blank wt.

mine is a 6wt.

tws
Old 07-25-2005, 07:45 PM

the problem as I see it is that the T14 is so dense, that to have the grains equal those of a six wt, the head would be very short. Like 10-15 ft. (I hven't done the math sorry).
Something like 140 grains for 10' of the t14. I forget what a six weight weighs. Probably about that. Since it would be a shooting head, I suspect that around 180gr would be ok., but that would be a very short head. If you have some money to spend, I think that Rio's Deep 7 line would be the fastest sinking option for that rod. Still maybe a bit heavy for that rod, but definitely the fastest light sinking line. Maybe make a head out of that?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:38 PM
loco alto!

a rule of thumb that some people adopt is 30' of T-14 for a 10 wt, then remove 1 foot for a 9 wt, 2 feet for an 8 wt, etc. Given that you get a 26' head for starters, but its getting so short so that it won't travel well through the air. It will want to dump. And it still may be too many grains for the rod because I don't know how far down that rule of thumb can be extended. I have never tried the stuff on rods lighter than a stiff 8 wt. So, you might you have to cut back even more than the rule of thumb, which gives you a short head, or there's a chance the extra weight will blow up your rod. Either way, bad news.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
Don't send a boy to do a man's job

tws, those of us who use spey rods have a fair idea, through experimentation and comparing notes, of how various sinking tips can be made to work on various sizes and types of lines. Trout-size lines and rods have definite limitations there. You will absolutely have to remove the front taper from a floating line; otherwise, no decent turnover. And there is a definite limit to how much heavy tip such as T14 that you can use. I'd guess somewhere between five and ten feet.
I have a Cortland 444 with a ten-foot type 6 sinktip that I use for stream-dredging with 6-weights. I think that's about the density limit for 6-weight rods. It turns over with a definite jerk, but it gets the job done.

Last edited by Nooksack Mac; 08-08-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

some great feedback so far

t14 weighs 14 grains per foot, so the 8wt would only carry about 12ft. If you are happy with a 12ft head for a flyline chances are you are fishing a deep canyon gorge, in other words you are not going to be happy fishing it

Save it for something else and get a 6wt hi-density (e.g. SA type IV) shooting head, 30ft at 6wt grains.

You will have three options -

fish it whole on a running line
cut it in half and loop both ends
cut it 13/17 to get two different tips

The last choice requires that you cut a normal WF floater back at 15ft (or so depending on the line design) from the tip and loop that so you can use the smaller, larger and original floating tip on the same line.

I don't think there are many applications for t-14 on a 6wt rod but I could be wrong.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.