Should I buy 8 weight or 10 weight or should i buy another 9 weight? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to Massflyfishing
Should I buy 8 weight or 10 weight or should i buy another 9 weight?

I need another saltwater rod!

Suggestions?

I figured I should buy another weight rod as i already have a 9 weight. Should i go with the 10 or 8 weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2005, 08:15 PM

Christopher

Tell us more . . . what's making you think you need another rod?

If you don't like your current 9 wt or just want to upgrade, it may make sense to stick with another 9 wt since that's such a versatile rod for most of the saltwater fishing we do in Mass.

However, if you're looking for something a bit lighter for schoolies (or maybe largemouths), then the 8 wt makes sense.

I've never used a 10 wt, but that's only because my saltwater fishing is limited . . . I have friends who do a lot more striper fishing who really like this weight. And you can use if if you go to Florida for Tarpon (but then you'll want the 8 wt for bonefish, too,)

Another rod to consider might be one of those two-handed Atlantis rods from CND. I'm thinking about buying one of those eventually for saltwater use. They look like great rods for surf fishing.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to Massflyfishing
Well, I like my the 9 weight I have right now. I own a Orvis Trident TLS 9 foot 9 weight 4 piece Mid-Flex rod. I definitely need to aquire another rod because my g/f seems to be comming along quite a bit. I also take my father out fishing sometimes, and some friends I'm trying to convert to saltwater fisherman... Since I need another rod I was thinking that maybe it would be better to cover some more bases and get a 10 or 8 weight. Just to have more versitility. I was told by someone that a 10 weight would be a better rod as I would be able to throw grain lines and punch the win a lot easier. It would probably be easier for those who come along (who are new at casting in the saltwater) to fish as well. My g/f comes from Pampano, FL so I was thinking that it's not all that crazy of an idea to go tarpon fishing at least once in my life. At the same time, I might be moving to the Seattle area next year so I was thinking steelhead... But right now I'm living in MA and target stripers!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:27 AM

Christopher . . . I'll let someone with more saltwater experience respond on whether an 8 or 10 weight would be more useful for you. But it does sound like getting a different weight is probably better than getting another 9 wt.

One thing possibly to consider, since you plan to lend the other rod to beginners, is which size would be easier for someone to learn on? I'm guessing the 8 wt is easier than the 10 wt, but I'm not totally sure, having cast a 10 wt only once.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Christopher,

I went through this same thing a couple of years ago. I went with the 10 wt back then and regreted it , sold it, and purchased an 8. My personal opinion is that the 10 is overkill for most of the Striper fishing we do in the northeast. Having an 8 and 9 you can cover a very broad spectrum of species (Stripers, Blues, Bonito, Bonefish, Permit, Redfish, Steelhead, Largemouth, Salmon, etc). I fish a 9 wt with a 460 grain line when I really need to get down so don't worry about fishing that type of line on your Orvis, it will handle it.

Back to the 10, I kind of felt like it was a 'tweener rod, not really right for any species. To heavy for the species listed above and a little to light for larger species like Tarpon, Sailfish. etc.

My .02, hope that helps
Old 07-25-2005, 07:49 AM

You may want to consider a powerful 7-weight to go along with your 9. These two rods make a great combo, although I think most would go the 8 and 10 weight route, which is fine, too.

I love a 10 weight rod and find these perfect for tarpon in the 50-80 lb. range.

If you think you'd have use for a 10, the 8 and 10 may be a good bet. Otherwise, the 7 and 9 combo is really hard to beat. The 7 is so fun on calmer days and the 9, if it's a powerful 9, is a really capable and versatile rod.

Good Luck!

Count

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.