Vancouver Travel/Tourist Info Please - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Fluff

Vancouver Travel/Tourist Info Please

Question asked by two friends traveling to Vancouver week of Oct. 10. What to do, see, where to eat, highlights 'not to be missed', etc.

Many Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2005, 08:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Swordfish
I'd like to get some info as well. I've heard good things.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:36 PM

Lightbulb

DFix,

Not sure if you are looking for general tourist stuff, ... or fly fishing.

A treat to try if you don't know it is Chinese Dim Sum. Used to be only sunday brunch, .. but now every day. Try the Pink Perle ... 1132 Hastings Street East
Vancouver, BC.

Dim sum is like a smorgasboard in reverse. You sit at the table and carts circulate around with all manner of steamed dumplings, ribs, sea food, sweet cakes, rolls.

A real treat.

There are a few nice museums and botanical gardens, especially at the University of BC . Cool in october, ... but winter storms MIGHT be starting, ... so there's wind surfing at Jerico beach at the club.

Best burgers (imho): King's head pub 1618 Yew Street
Vancouver, BC ... go for the Moose Burger !!

Best hiking, ... Black Tusk Meadows.

Best natural vista: Garibaldi Lake

October is Sockeye run. If time permitted, ... the Adam's river run is up near Kamloops and is pretty spectacular to see.

Just some ideas ... PM me if you need Links.

Last edited by fcch; 07-20-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 PM

Go To......

San Juan Islands, Orcas, Friday Harbor! The ferry from Anacortes is cheap and they take cars. Victoria and the gardens. there's tons to do!
Deerhawk
Old 07-21-2005, 06:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Vancouver is a big city; just as it's tough to say what the must-sees are there as they are in Boston. This city is bustling, and the restaurants are fantastic. There is great sushi to be found if that's on the agenda and the pacific northwest seafood is wonderful (dungeness crab, local sweet shrimp in louie style salads, wild king and coho salmon, etc).

I second the Victoria recommendation, the Twassen Ferry is faster and cheaper than the Anacortes WA ferry but the latter is more scenic and wonderful. We'd done both depending on time available. We stayed at the Pt.Laurel (Laurel Pt?) with family which was a phenomenal scandinavian styled upper crust hotel with balconies overlooking the bay and fantastic food and amenities. Pricey but wow.

If you're sticking to the mainland drop by sponsor Angler's West and say hi to Scott for me. A short drive north and you're in Whistler country, where sponsor Brian Niska keeps the Whistler Flyfishing Shop. These guys can put you on the right spots with everything they need to take in the BC fishing experience during their trip.

They're not hung up about Cuban products so you might enjoy one of the finest cigars in a while there too.

In any case the city is gorgeous and the surrounding forests magnificent. I would advise them to explore and enjoy, there is much to see and do.

Perhaps those who live there could tell you more, I was just a happy tourist on several occasions while living in Seattle.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM

Its become one of our favorite distinations for a us. We love the spending time there. We will usualy stay somewhere on Robson Street which is like the Union Square of San Francisco or Rodeo Drive of Beverly Hills. This works well for us, as I can leave and do a day trip fishing on the Vedder. Fraser or up tot he north to the Whistler area, all the while my better half can spend the day shopping. A win-win. There is a great restraunt on Robson called Milestones (also one in Victoria on the pier), have to order a Bellini. Also there is a fantastic place that serves crepes thats really good (can't remember the name right now) buts its also on Robson. Also in Yaletown is a place called the bluewater cafe dot com. We usually do different things while we are there. We like to drive around and look at the area, one time we even caught a Canuks game at GM Palace. Its all good.

Andre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.