Chatham tomorrow. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Chatham tomorrow.

Hi guys,

I'm getting away for an entire day on the flats tomorrow. Going to try and make it in time for the 8am Rip Ryder. Hope to have alittle company if any of you will be out and about tomorrow. If you want to join me drop me a line or see ya in the morning at the Rip Ryder.

Cheers,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 08:48 AM
resigned

Greg. I wanted to join you and those finicky linesiders but it's soooo hard to get away. Hope you had a bang up day on the flats!

Phil
Old 07-21-2005, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cole
Looks like you picked a blue ribbon type of day out there...noon high, clear skies... I was hoping to make it out this week..I might be able to tomorrow..
Old 07-21-2005, 03:19 PM

I'll be giving it a go tomorrow (Friday)...I have promised myself that I will not be denied again....last week I had my first skunking of the year despite many good shots....grenades, nets, torpedoes packed...if necessary I will physically jump on and wrestle one to shore! See you there.....if you see someone leaping on fish...it's me!
Ron
Old 07-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

As of 5pm...

Friday: A chance of showers, mainly after 3pm. Partly cloudy, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming south between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: A slight chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Should be pretty good, but I'd wear copper lenses, dress in pastel tans and blues and don't give into the blind casting jones. The fish are there and everyone will fare poorly if there is a flailer deep on the flat. Just up the road is excellent blind casting water, you don't need to go to the best striper flats in the world to do that unless the lights go out.

Think of yourself as a pitcher, pitching to the all-stars. If you throw fastballs all day they are gonna smack you around. Mix it up and adjust to the reactions of the fish.

As they swim off leaving you completely befuddled, remember they have a brain the size of a walnut.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-21-2005, 07:00 PM

Juro...will "tread lightly and carry a big stick" Will see how the challenge goes, hopefully the "walnuts" won't win this time. Can be humbling sometimes, but then again...how would their walnut brains hold up in a board room?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
As they swim off leaving you completely befuddled, remember they have a brain the size of a walnut.
Yeah, that's why they're too stupid to take a good thing when they see it (he mutterz to hisself....)
Old 07-21-2005, 07:38 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
As of 5pm...

Friday: A chance of showers, mainly after 3pm. Partly cloudy, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming south between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: A slight chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Should be pretty good, but I'd wear copper lenses, dress in pastel tans and blues and don't give into the blind casting jones. The fish are there and everyone will fare poorly if there is a flailer deep on the flat. Just up the road is excellent blind casting water, you don't need to go to the best striper flats in the world to do that unless the lights go out.

Think of yourself as a pitcher, pitching to the all-stars. If you throw fastballs all day they are smack you around. Mix it up and adjust to the reactions of the fish.

Thanks for the pep talk Juro!

Nothing worse than blind casting on the flats, it definately gets to me everytime I see someone out at the channel ...

Im not sure how my selection is as far as flies, I haven't had alot of time to recover from the blues lately ... Im headed out with some sparse eels, and even a really crappy looking shrimp I tied today...
Going to work on presentation and stealth tomorrow.

Last edited by Cole; 07-21-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:58 PM

7/22 SB results....the "walnuts" won....5 guys fishing, 3 total fish caught. I sighted at least 150 fish.....great casting practice. Spooky, not feeding, disinterested and spread all over the place. Tried just about everything.....the only thing that got me a few follows and one fish was the following retrieve: Cast out 6 to 10 ft ahead....wait for fish to approach and jiggle fly in place, no more than 2 inches...not retrieve it...jiggle in place, let current push it back the 2 inches. At least that didn't make the fish scream, take out their side-arms and run for cover
My mini/sparse sand eel is now named "Moses".....I had a head shot at a pod of about 12, 20+ inchers.....lead them, waited, moved the fly about 1 ft....1/2 the group went left, the other 1/2 went right....nothing like "parting the pod".....well.....enough bragging about my skill level...hope those who go this weekend, clean up!
Ron
PS: Forgot....I almost caught a second fish....was walking slowly in about 18 inches of water and about 1 ft in front of my basket and striper jumped clear out of the water and almost into my basket....the damn thing was probably sleeping on the bottom...I apologized for the intrusion and moved on Who needs those expensive rods anyway???!!!
Old 07-23-2005, 07:32 AM
resigned

Someone, please try a tan yarn crab the size of a quarter. Leave it on the bottom and give a 2" strip only. Just curious and wish I could get up there to try it. Shrimp would be my second choice in the form of a bonefish Gotcha.

Ron. Thanks for the report. I totally understand your frustration!

Phil
Old 07-23-2005, 08:06 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I still hold fast to my rules of engagement on the flats (in order of importance):

a) presence of fish

b) mood of fish

c) presentation

d) fly

Meaning you have more flexibility as you go down the list. The first is invariable. Mood opens the flood gates to presentations and flies of all types and colors. Presentation can defeat a dour mood. This is true of many things in life. Finally, the fly is the cherry on the flats parfait. There are a dozen at any given time in the box that will turn the trick, unlike the previous three factors.

Speaking as a flats guide I find that most people are looking at the problem upside down.

Speaking as an angler, what most find frustrating I find to be the very reason I am drawn like a magnet to this fishery.

When I was a hardcore steelheader living in the shadow of the Cascade and Olympic mountains in Washington I used to say 'steelheading is like asking the best looking girl out every time you get a chance when there are many less pretty who would love to go out with you. You may get denied over and over again but then if you persevere and do everything right one day she eventually says yes and when she does it's all worth it'. I guess what I am saying is if your passion is in the pursuit and the refinement of your skill to succeed in a more tantalizing yet more difficult game, then flyfishing the dog days on the flats is for you.

I am flats bound in short order...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-23-2005, 10:49 AM

Despite getting skunked Friday, I had a great time out on SB. Unlike the last two times I made it out, I saw tons of fish, probably around 100. Out of those 100, probably about 40 I could make a good presentation, and out of those I made about 20 decent presentations. I got about 6 follows, two from the same fish! But I couldn't get any linesides to commit. I was using sparse eels in the 3" range. Im working on my arsenal today, as I think my hooks were too big; I'll be using some #4's for eels/shrimp/bonefish flies.

I'll definately say, It is so much fun observing the different moods of the fish... My first stop on my way out to the J-K buoy area was at the end of the L buoy flat, where a deep trench cuts across. I saw more fish here than any other single spot, but almost every one was coming up out of the deep water completely spooked... They were moving real fast and had no interest in anything I threw at them (I'm pretty sure it was the seals not too far off). After about 10 minutes of this, I took off, hoping to find fish in a better mood.....I had shots at cruising fish, which seemed to be in the best mood, but I think my presentation was a bit off, some saw me too early..etc.. Finally, ran into the big cows with 'tunnel vision'...really wish I could figure them out. It seems you really have to put something right on their noses without scaring them....

All in all another great day out there. It was really nice meeting 'moses' and Chris from CT...Good luck this weekend guys!

Phil: I was just tying up some crazy charlies style shrimps, I'll make a tan gotcha style one, and maybe try making a mini crab..these flies are way more fun to make as compared to the old clousers...

Last edited by Cole; 07-23-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:04 PM

Juro....in case you misunderstood my post....for the record, I had a great time. A "bad" time for me is either not getting to go or going and not seeing many fish. Yesterday was spectacular re sighting conditions and #s of fish!!! My heart was pumping with excitment all day, only the "pretty girls" were not in a dating mood.
Thought that I would share some observations about what I learned yesterday and see if it helps anyone who is going soon:
1. The fish are spooky as hell!!!! ....walking the flats even slowly and softly lessens your chances.....best bet in my opinion is,.... dependent on stage of the tide...pick a spot and let the fish come to you...don't move, don't false cast...wait;
2. Spread out...I was in one area for a while and fish were approaching at the rate of 1 per one minute.....as two FF's walking on the flats approached from a distance of at least 100yards....the fished stopped.......the 2 guys went by, I waited 15 minutes until they were more thgan a 100 ydrds away again...and the fish started to come over the flats again. So....if you want to increase your chances and not decrease the chances of others....be non social and keep at least 100yrds between you and others. Not to be misinterpreted, these 2 guys gave me a very wide and sporting distance when they approached....the point I'm making is that any un-natural movement on the flats, even at a distance, shuts the flat down;
3. Any splash of fly or line on the water KILLS your chances to hook up for sure...aim to land the fly 3 ft above the surface.
4. Pray a lot;
5. If ya get skunked...thank the good lord for letting you live that day in order to have the previlage of getting skunked SB is just too beautiful a place to get frustrated!!!!
Ron
Old 07-24-2005, 07:43 AM

While a lot of people hate the seals they are your clue as to where the bait is. Find the seals and you'll find the bait and the fish. Now if we could only train a few of them to herd the bass to the Flats that would be awesome.
I took my own advice and caught a difficult Flats following the dreaded seals.
FishHawk

Last edited by FishHawk; 07-24-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:35 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Guys,

Just got back from vacation. I enjoyed a great day on the flats, I had some good shots at some big linesiders. Wound up with a couple small bluefish, stripers wouldn't bite only a couple follows and some clear refusals. A number of the times the large solo fish showed up at times I wasn't able or ready to cast. I did alittle blindcasting a fan pattern to test the deeper waters to locate an unseen fish, But no go. At low tide I worked some of the channel areas off morris Island and found a school of stripers I chased around for an hour, But they seemed too skitish to bite, (heavy traffic area). A ton of bait around the mouth of Stage harbor and just off the sand bars kept some fish around
But most I found were small.

It was such a nice day I chose to use invisable waders and be Iron man for the day.
I don't think Iv'e ever been stung so many times by jellyfish ever! In particular my right leg seemed to be getting stung. I had to keep an eye out for big ones and step out of the way as the current washed them past. It was alittle maddening But I like not having waders on such a nice day.

Perhaps another time guys...

Greg

Last edited by GregD; 07-25-2005 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.