biggest LMB on a fly rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
biggest LMB on a fly rod

On Sunday night I hooked and (almost) landed the largest bucketmouth I've ever gotten on a fly rod, and possibly ever caught. I say almost because as I was about to lip him, the fly popped out. I was ticked at myself because I was pullling hard on the line to get her towards me and that made the fly pop out. She was 2" across at the eyes and must have gone 5+ pounds. Damn it, I'm pissed at myself for pulling too hard. I was so damn excited because when her head came up I saw how big she was and I just wanted to land her fast.

I was using a big ugly yellow streamer I tied this winter that also got me a couple huge smallies (17"+) and a nice landlocked (19") a few weeks ago up in Maine. It's my new go-to fly.

Just had to share my frustration...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Flats Rat

If you touched the leader or the fish it counts as a release, the only thing you don't get is a photo.

Congratulations on your PB LMB, they are a blast on the fly rod
Old 07-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Fly chucker

I've been fortunate enough to catch a few six pounders while living for a year in Alabama back in 1993. I was working at Auburn University and spent a good deal of time fishing local ponds. Both fish were taken at dusk on separate days, but both fell for the same rabbit strip fly.

I seem to remember seeing some other bass in those waters that were easily eight and maybe even ten pounds. They weren't interested in what I was chuckin'.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 AM

Thanks Adrian. I thought that only counted with big fish like tuna and marlin though... It didn't help that the area I was fishing was chock full of weeds (both pads and hydrilla) and the fish had about 50 pounds of weeds hanging over the leader. It dove into them a couple of times and I didn't want to let it dive again. Oh well, at least I know there 's some big fish! It's a new spot for me this year and the biggest one I've pulled out of there prior to this was only 16", though one day I did catch 25 bass, most in the 12-14" range.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 07-20-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2005, 09:13 PM
_

Nice fish! It's great to get a photo or at least a measurement of a big fish, but you'll always have the image in your mind and that's what really counts. Of course, the best part is that those fish can grow even larger over time .

And since you asked, my best flyrod largemouth was maybe 3-4 lbs (on a topwater fly ). I might try to beat that this weekend by fishing deep in the milfoil. I haven't given that a fair try yet and I know the big bass are down there.

Q
Old 07-20-2005, 11:48 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
Wink the magic of the ugliest fly in the box

great bass on anyweight or any tackle for that matter......
I know I've been whipped once or twice by a fish I couldn't turn at least you saw him. Still a catch in my book.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjkol
great bass on anyweight or any tackle for that matter......
I know I've been whipped once or twice by a fish I couldn't turn at least you saw him. Still a catch in my book.
Thanks, you guys are making me feel a bit better. There's just something about actually hoisting the fish up and taking a look at it in the light though.

Quentin, most of the hits I've gotten in warmer weather are when the fly first hits the water. It doesn't matter whether it's a surface lure or whatnot, the bass slam it as soon as it hits. I've had the picture of that fish in my head since I saw the eyes staring at me from between a bunch of weeds. Wow, what a fish. I can't wait to get another! I've been tying some more big ugly flies over the last few days too. We'll see how they work out. I'm trying to do a striped perch imitation. If I had a digital camera I'd post a pic.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:44 PM
bluegillbob

Smile

My biggest LMB : just over 5 lbs (21.25"). I was using my 4wt and tossing a small yellow popper. His belly was concave; the pond is getting low on forage, and he struck that little "bluegill sized" popper. If his belly wasn't "shrunk" he should've gone 6 lbs! He made one strong run, jumped once, then became dead weight. That 4wt was plenty, and it kept him out of the weeds! My 8wt will work better on the big bass.

A 5lb bass is nice, but it's not "big" down here in the south. I think an 8lb or 10 lb bass is "big."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.