Piscataqua 7/16/05 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Piscataqua 7/16/05

Hello All,

I have been trying to represent the NH area a bit more this year. So that means that I will post even when the fishing is slooowwwww.

I was on the water in my kayak at 5:15 AM on Saturday morning and I fished the last of the incoming off of Pierce Island. I fished my favorite rips for a while and then I drifted back to the mussel beds around Four Tree Island. Notice I talk about spots when I catch no fish!

I did talk to one gent flyfishing from shore and his son had caught 2 fish that morning, 2 twinks.

I crossed the river to fish under the few diving birds near the blue shipyard building but there was nothing to show for my efforts.

There was a lack of boats (and birds) in this area so the action must be elsewhere. The ramp on Pierce was full of boats when I paddled home.

All in all a good morning (despite lack of fish) and a good paddle. Crossing the Piscataqua in a yak can be a little hairy. Thank God the place is not full of yahoo boaters.

My lobster traps go in next week. At least then I can try for lobster from the kayak when the fishing is slow.

See you on the water,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 09:30 AM

Mike, I've been fishing up in Southern Maine a lot, but I can't imagine things are all that different 30 miles to your north.

What I've found is that by this time of year many of the fish have moved outside to the rocks. It may be time to trade the kayak for a pair of korkers.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Wanna be striper bum

I hear you there...

Matt,

I think you are right about the rocks. I am really just learning the area around Portsmouth - and I am trying to actually just fish the river for a while to learn what to do and what not to do. My in-laws place (where I keep the yak) is across the street from the water so it is just too easy to fish the Pierce Island area.

The river was pretty hot at the end of June. I just don't want to let go of the hot action so close to home.

My next trip will be the rocks in Rye. I will keep you posted as to what develops. And Matt, if you are fishing NH some night drop me an e-mail. We can throw on the korkers and fish together.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.