15+ lb Carp on Natrix's Crayfish Fly - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 AM
_

Cool 15+ lb Carp on Natrix's Crayfish Fly

Natrix's Crayfish Fly

I was using Natrix's crayfish fly in shallow water, watching to see how the fish reacted to different retrieves. I walked down the shore a bit and saw a big carp feeding within casting range. I botched the cast and the fly landed beyond the target zone, and then the fish started to swim towards me. I pulled the fly past the carp's face, fully expecting to spook it, and then dropped the fly on the bottom just ahead of the carp. It went right after the fly and flared its lips so I set the hook. Fish on! I was using the 5 wt and thought I was in for a long battle, but it turned out to be one of the wimpy carp and it never got into my backing. It still put up a respectable fight and it took several minutes for me to land and release it. It's hard to guestimate the weight on larger carp, especially when you leave them in the water, but I know it was one of the biggest I've landed to date. Thanks Natrix ! Oh yeah, I also caught a couple small bass on the same fly.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Fly chucker

Way to go Q!

Sluggish or not, a 15 pound carp is an accomplishment on a five weight.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Flats Rat

Brilliant
Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
_

Thanks guys! Of course, the 20# leader helped a bit . The best part was right after I hooked up and it wallowed around in front of me, moving huge amounts of water as it tried to get its shoulders down to dig in and head for deeper water. It looked like I'd hooked an alligator or something . I was fishing close to shore and had only a small amount of line out so I was able to get the fish on the reel without giving up too much line. I waited for it to make its move but it never did .

I wish I'd had the camera because it was one of the linear mirror carp with just a single row of large scales along each side of its back. Looked like some kind of dinosaur!

Q
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM

Natrix's Crayfish Fly

Atta boy. That's good to hear.

A 15 pounder on a 5 w is a respectable accomplishment.

Natrix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.