How about a trout report from YOUR homewaters? - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2001, 02:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

How about a trout report from YOUR homewaters?

The other morning I left for work and saw a bug. It was a frail, solitary slate gray spec winging against the wind as I walked through the softening snow to my truck. After the long hard winter that hit us in the northeastern united states, it was a welcome sight. In the temperate northern hemisphere most of us are approaching spring and it's time to gear up for sweetwater trout angling.

Many of you are from faraway parts of the angling world, could you share a story from a recent outing to get our season underway?

-juro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2001, 08:10 AM

RE:How about a trout report from YOUR homewaters?

The fishing is only getting better and better here in colorado. We hit a honey hole on the south platte the other day and did ok. The day was a bit overcast which is always a good sign and there was the usual breeze blowing. Upon arriving at the river another fisherman was in a spot that often holds fish so we started about 1/2 a mile upstream from him at some deep plunge pools. The water was low and very clear making spotting fish pretty easy. Other than the odd fish here or there the river seemed empty and for the first hour or so we got skunked. I headed downstream to find the other guy hooking up regularly with a size 20 PT. Armed with that info i headed upstream fishing the seams and holes. I came to a large boulder area and peaked over to the pool just up stream. It looked promising, a riffle flowing into a deep pool with a dark weed bed on one side. Then the most amazing thing happened when the weed bed moved away into the center of the pool, it was a huge school of maybe 100 fish. Once the panic settled and i collected my wits i started fishing. Surprisingly the fish were very selective, i would get a couple of subtle strikes and then nothing, change flies and it would happen again. Finally, a size 18 orange scud started producing when fished to the fringes of the school. Adding 2 spilt shot gave hookups on almost every cast. The fish were mostly browns in the 14-16 inch range, we landed a bunch and lost even more, what a day and what a memory. Cheers
Old 03-22-2001, 07:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:How about a trout report from YOUR homewaters?

Sounds awesome Brad! Keep those rocky mountain stories coming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.