Grand central station - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Grand central station

I envy those who are going to seek some refuge this weekend. It's going to be crowded, but many of the tourists have stripes. I can't wait to read the reports on Monday.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 06:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JayM
Boating

Juro,

I'll try to get a few for you. I think I told you I'm now using a boat around Chatham. It's a deep V, so tough to get onto the flats.

I can confirm that there good fish on the outside of S. Monomoy. Fished Bearses Shoal last weekend and caught a good number of 10-15# stripers on super light spinning gear and a few smaller ones with the fly rod. Interestingly all had tons of lice. Good number of blues in the mix as well (plus a dogfish shark).

Spent some time eating lunch on the west side of S. Monomoy about even with the light house. My buddy (who doesn't fish much) looks out and asks me why there are so many fish in the water. A large pod was transiting around our boat - lots of good size bass. We threw everything from spin surface lures, storms, etc. to one of your flies (yes, I still have one for a long time ago) but couldn't get any takers. They seemed determined to get to the North Flats and Stage Harbor!

Jay
Old 07-15-2005, 10:07 PM

Those fish can be had. The fly isn't really the issue, concentrate on presentation in those cases. Intent fish swim in straight lines unlike grubbing bass that are all over the flat in zig zaggy lines. This intent can be used to the angler's advantage.

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation - even though I am not there this weekend I've been able to easily piece together the evidence and it's clear what is happening.

I hope they hold out until I get my time off (soon). Someone go block the exit for a while
Old 07-15-2005, 11:53 PM

where are the fish--erman?

Hi Juro,

Some fish being seen on the flats at both N Monomoy and South Beach by the few and I do mean few fisherman that are coming out. I think this week the big day was a total of 6 wading the flats at once. The other good news is the boat traffic is WAY down compared to years past even on Sundays. The south tip of SB gets crowded as an anchorage, but the channel isn't that bad.

Fish are real picky now, I think it is that time of year to break out the crab flies and shrimp patterns and any secret weapons you may have in your fly collections.

The fisherman are so scarce, that poor Paxton had the place to himself earlier in the week. I think he was kind of lonely out there.

Capt Keith
Old 07-16-2005, 08:53 AM

Sure Keith....tell everyone of the secret place I go where I see no other fishermen!!!! It was a bit surreal to say the least. Thanks for not forgetting me!!!
Ron
Old 07-16-2005, 09:16 AM

The striper underground has been active with reports of being alone on flats buzzing thick with new arrivals and established residents alike. Based on the types of numbers being seen, my guess is that this is a large percentage of the missing late spring push just coming on to the scene along with the second wave of forage (in fact I am certain the two events are tied together now).

So this year we have a unique combination of summer conditions and migrating fish at an odd time of year. Even though the conditions are getting doggy there are lots of dark migrants moving in, and trying to move on but getting a little held up by recent changes.

Sure they are not as intent on settling in as much as the residents, they seem to be in a hurry to leave all the time. They are focused in being elsewhere and it shows, and we'll see them at Singing Beach in October on their way back from Maine.

They seem picky and act distinctly different from the resident Monomoy fish, which are the pickiest of the picky. Picky and pickier. But they can be had, each in their own way, persistence pays. Once unlocked, not all that challenging really, not like the ghostly 40" singles that roostertail off the flat from your best presentation of a tiny shrimp fly on a gossamer tippet.

These transient pods are a gift in mid-July. With the bunker wave coming soon we might not even have a dog day period this year.

We might be able to draw some theories and conclusions on the shape of things to come during 'normal' years as a result of the southway constriction based on what happens next.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:44 PM
resigned

Juro... please help!

Fisherman scarce on the flats? I'll bet you won't see as many Ford Expeditions around town either! These fuel prices are getting outrageous and there seems to be no end in sight.

I fished SB last year around this time and got my butt licked really bad by dozens of large triples, doubles and singles. I did not arrive with the bonefish box which holds a few tan crabs. May have worked. My quarter size green crabs work great
at the, whoops! Sorry Juro. Can't go there. I've never seen the green variety at the elbow.

Juro, you're killing me! Please PM me some advice on SB alternatives. It's a longer drive home with that skunk smell in the car!!!!!!! I realize fly choice is imperative and that there is much more to it than that. The cast, the strip, low profile... etc.. Big concern now is fly choice.

Phil
Old 07-17-2005, 01:11 AM

Phil,

If I had gotten out at all over these past grueling days I would have come to your little honey hole by now!

Seems the boys had a hard time of it today despite seeing lots of fish. Maybe I am wrong, maybe they are that picky... but then again maybe they are not.

It's all in the presentation, in fact with that going right you might not have to change flies all week unless you cast to the bluefish.

Forecasting possible tstorms tomorrow - not a day to wander too far from taller objects and dry land.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:45 PM

Monomoy Rips

Alright not flats but grandcentral certainly. The cut being closed sends everyone south by default. I counted 30 boats rounding The point in about five minutes while out for my annual trip with the nephews and Bruce Peters. We also had 5 boats rigged for tuna follow us out in the fog. And they're going for tuna?
xiphias
Old 07-17-2005, 09:12 PM

Gas Prices

Phil

I think you hit it on the nose. Today, Sunday 7/17 there were maybe 30 boats all total anchored up on South Beach, tha's total from end to end. There are usually that many dropping their anchor lines right in my landing zone. These July Sundays are like early June weekends. At 3- 3.50 per gallon at the gas dock people are not moving there boats and never mind driving down here to look at them.

The admiral and I have been sign watching since the 4th of July. Not one "NO VACANCY" sign yet on rt 28 from Harwich to Chatham. Even the restaurants are empty. Between Marley's and the ROO Bar on Friday night at 6pm, I think they had 20 cars total. OUCH!!

Very strange year ??!!!

Capt Keith
Old 07-18-2005, 05:25 AM

It won't be long before gas will hit the $3. It will be around that and higher next summer. This will cause a lot of changes in everyone's life style. FishHawk
Old 07-18-2005, 08:17 AM
resigned

Good Luck Keith!

Any new marketing strategies in the works. Now's the time to start getting really creative! The punch card idea is good. Another Great White would be tremendous! LOL!!!!! Just kidding. How about a fishing contest each week with each winner entering for an end of summer Championship. The more often you fish, the better chance of winning! They would have to use your shuttle, of course. For example, the Grand prize being unlimited shuttles the following summer. If the Mayor wins I'm sure he'll bring lots of paying guests more often to help you out even further! Just an idea. Hope it helps!!!!!!

Oh yeh, Keith. Tell all the Chatham squads I fixed that tail light! They can stop looking for me now. He, he, he!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil
Old 07-18-2005, 09:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Swordfish
Thats alot of boats!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:16 AM

I suspect the the Massachusetts Commercial season on striped bass, which opened on 7/12, accounts for some of the increased boat traffic. For the regs governing that, see here: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recre...ss.htm#commreg
Old 07-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Flats Rat

In the flat calm conditions that greeted us last Saturday morning I made an observation that I had never really noticed before. When the fly touched the water, the concentric ripple pattern was very apparent - much more so than when there is a slight breeze rippling the surface. The really interesting observation was the behavior of fish as their path intersected with the expanding ripple at which point they would suddenly veer off - long before they got a good look at the fly/leader etc. I've seen this 'spooky' behavior many times before but the flat calm made everthing visible.

Even when there is a slight ripple on the water, the effect of a fly hitting the surface will be apparent a good distance from the impact point and easily detected by the sensitive lateral line. The nature of the splash is important ( a big component in the presentation) and I think there may be some clues for fly design.

Saturday and Sunday on the flats were simliar in terms of presence of fish - present in the morning and gone in the afternoon. I found the fish more receptive on Sunday. There was a breeze (actually blowing a good 25 - 30 mph by the afternoon). The majority of fish I saw were singles up to 26" that had been on the flats for a while. There were a couple of smaller pods of darker fish that were likely new arrivals. I did well with a simple sparse bendback bucktail pattern. Unlike the previous day, when the presentation was right, the "sound" of the fly touching down seemed to be a turn-on rather than a turn-off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.