Airline travel and Rods - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 06:21 PM

Airline travel and Rods

I don't travel too much but do on occasion. I am wanting to get a consensus of what your experiences are traveling with fly rods on airplanes. The last 2 times I flew up to Vancouver, I was turned away by the TSA check ins when I tried to take on my rods (both 4-piece) in their tubes (Sage 896-4 and a Loop 9140 Spey) cause I could use the tubes as a "blunt weapon". Had to check them in as is. BTW the check in clerk told me it would be ok, but it seams that TSA has jurisdiction.

My second attempt found me researching a bit, but still nothing conclusive. Some board with them , some donít. According to TSA's website, fly rods are allowed as carryon items. So I thought about buying one of those tubes that are used to carry on posters, art prints and such, and carry my rods in their socks and then in this tube. But not taking a chance of being turned away again, I decided to purchase a ABS gun case to pack my rods. It is pretty sturdy, and I can carry up to four rods in their tubes, and they all fit nicely. 2 padlocks and I am set. It is long enough to put my 2pc 9' in there as well. It traveled quite nicely.

So hereís my current dilemma: I want to buy a couple of new rods and I am wondering if I should just by the 2 or 3 pc versions or pay the extra $$ for the multi piece versions of a 4 or a 5 pc. Who is carrying on a 4pc. I know a 5pc can be stowed in a carryon bag, not sure about the 4pc??

Any thoughts on the subject?

Andre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Mr. Mom

Bottom line is it's a crapshoot as to whether you are going to be able to carry on. What with the London bombings, I would bet against for the forseable future.

I always check my stuff in duffle bags, splitting my gear (rods reels flies leaders everything) equally between two bags so that it would take an incredible set of circumstances to keep me from fishing. 3 piece 9 footers fit in oversize duffles quite well, but 4 piecers would allow you to pack in a large wheeled suitcase.

If I was buying new gear today, I would buy a pair of 4 piece TFOs instead of one Sage, TT, what-have-you. The Gun Case is a nice option, but hard golf travel bags are even cooler and roll. Remember, you can't lock anything.

Check it.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 PM
LBFF Mojo

Quote:
Remember, you can't lock anything.
Yeah on my recent trip to the Cape I paid $10 a pop for TSA approved luggage locks that they can open. HOWEVER if they do inspect your luggage , they did mine on my outgoing and return flight, they do not put the gdamn locks back on. So i basically donated my locks to TSA so they can auction them off on ebay at a later date

-sean
Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Yeah on my recent trip to the Cape I paid $10 a pop for TSA approved luggage locks that they can open. HOWEVER if they do inspect your luggage , they did mine on my outgoing and return flight, they do not put the gdamn locks back on. So i basically donated my locks to TSA so they can auction them off on ebay at a later date

-sean
I wonder if you can zip tie around the shackle so if they unlock the bag, they will have to either relock it of let the lock dangle??
Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 PM

Andre-
Moving through Vancouver is tough. I have been turned away for having lines on my carried on reels. Reels are OK; lines are not.

However, a majority of travelers in the eastern part of the US report no problem carrying on rods, whether it's to Canada or Argentina.

You may want to consider buying a K-I-S rod case. [Keep It Safe]. It will carry many rods of any length, a one-piece wading staff and the extra space can be used for socks, tee shirts, extra lines in boxes or bags, etc. K-I-S cases are sold by Hunters in New Hampshire. They are around $100, bullet-proof and favored by European travelling Spey rodders.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I carried 3 rods with me in Dec from Boston to Nassau via Miami. They were strapped onto the outside of my backpack in their rod tubes. Nobody gave me any trouble. I also had a fly reel, 2 spinning reels, a bunch of spinning lures, flies, and other stuff in my backpack.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:11 AM

Here is the wording from the TSA website. Has anyone tried printing out this page and bringing to the airport to present them with their own rules if they try to deny you?

Fishing Rods / Poles - Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:32 AM

Angry FWIW

We flew to Gaspe the first week of July and were not allowed to carry on either rods or reels with lines on them. I called Air Canada to try to get the lines allowed and was told flat out that lines will not be allowed inside the cabin. I am not comfortable with having my reels in the checked baggage but it looks like there is not a thing a guy can do about it. I did copy the TSA sheet last year when heading to Smithers but understand once you get to Canada the lines have to come off.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Just had an brainstorm... the "Pocket Fly-fisherman"!

Or maybe it was a brain fart

I believe that when going to a hard-earned destination that one rod should be kept in possession, thus I own a 5-pc travel rod. I put it in a compact cordura case and they don't seem to get the 'metallic aversion reaction' that a screwtop tube gets. Maybe the fabric helps the carrier sway toward leniency but I haven't been denied yet (crossing fingers). Maybe I'll iron on a nice US flag or some flower power patches.

I didn't remove the line when traveling to Nassau / Acklins, but would have been more than willing to thread it through my sneaker laces if they required it. It might make for a very interesting 'loop' necklace for my wife to wear on board (thru thick and thin, remember?). I think she would actually do it for me but that big diamond pendant hanging from the loops that would be part of the deal would render it 'not cost efficient'

How about going to radio shack and buying a male mini-plug and earphone for each end? How long is that iPod cord? "120ft sir, should I remove my shoes?"

I can hear the flight attendant now - "is that a pocket fly-fisherman or are you just glad..."
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-16-2005, 08:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
How about going to radio shack and buying a male mini-plug and earphone for each end? How long is that iPod cord? "120ft sir, should I remove my shoes?"
Old 07-16-2005, 10:11 AM

crap shoot

I travel with tons of gear a few times a year (three trips so far this year). I had no problems with 3pc rods inside the cabin and carry on reels with lines.
I would still rrecomend a 4 pc rod as it might attract less attention as a third piece of carry on.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:11 PM

Has anyone had problems with the small CO2 cylinders for inflatable life jackets? and are you allowed to carry boxes full of flys in your hand luggage? I didn't have a problem last year but I am starting to think i may have trouble this year due to security being stepped up. I don't want to put all my gear in 1 bag in the hold just in case it goes missing on 1 of the connecting flights. I have spoken to someone at BA and they made things as clear as mud and I am now wishing I had not bothered to ask the questions.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:47 PM

the flys shouldn't be a problem (why take the chance with big SW flys). Co2 cartidges are not allowed which is funny. Every seat has an inflatable vest under it.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:39 AM

European Regulations

EU regulations do not allow fishing rods to be carried as hand luggage on planes. Believe it or not they are classed as 'Blunt instruments capable of causing injury'.

Baseball bats and golf clubs I can understand, but I if I wanted to batter someone over the head, a 7'6" 4wt wouldn't be my weapon of choice!

http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressRele...guiLanguage=en
Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Swordfish
I also paid $20 per rod. Pain in the arse with the airline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.