Fly Fishing Forum banner

PNW Water Temps

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MJC 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Nate - You're a celebrity! :)

Seriously though... reports of slow salmon fishing off area 4 and now this news is worrysome. I hope the fish located some other food sources out there.

Maybe this will offset the returns to a later run of bigger fish who had travelled further to find good feeding grounds (?)

We get a noticeable effect on Cape Cod from strong north winds, clearly an updwelling effect.

#3 ·
Yeah

Heard about this dead bird thing locally on Tues. last. Guess some evidence of increased mortality is showing on the Oregon Coast, Murre's and Cormorants. I spent a short time trying to find someone who is doing Krill sampling here, but no luck yet. Will report if I do.
2 thumbs up, Nate
DH

#4 ·
Warm Water Mid Coast

Last week in the Oregonian, Bill Monroe mentioned that the predicted week of northwesteries would help turn the water over and cool things down. I know we have several days of strong winds, but whether they did any good or not, who knows.

In Alsea Bay, there is still no bait to speak of. The Chinook are due to arrive any day now, but I don't expect them to show on time if there's a thermal barrier out front.

What the (way too) numerous harbor seals, cormorants and Caspian terns are doing for food with this lack of bait is beyond me. Unless things turn around quick, we can expect more dead ones of all species.

No sea run cutthroat, yet either; but, as you might expect with the warm ocean, dudes are catching albacore within three miles of the coast near Depoe Bay.

Eric

#5 ·
Astoria Sardine report...

They are few and they are small. Most buyers are not buying because of the small sizes, and too there are not as many schools as what have been observed in the last few years.
However it is rumored that the Sardines down at "Pedro" are larger than usual! What it all means is it is not a normal year. I, myself will wait awhile for a bigger "Sword" to fall on.
I will be conducting interpersonal testing of the areas adjacent to Neah Bay the first week of August for temperature and salinity and "Vintage" probably do some fishing too!!!
I take all the dismal news re the enviroment way to seriously and must from time to time make light of it, however the Sardiner reports are accurate.

#6 ·
Update / Bird deaths / Oregon coast

Good evening,
Another study was conducted yesterday along the Oregon Coast. In one area 67 Common Murres were found dead on a short stretch of beach. Researchers are now saying that this years die-off is nearing a 30 year high point. First test results show that most of the birds are dieing from starvation! Studys of samples of Ocean water off the coast show dramatic low levels of vital Zooplankton, Microscopic animals that are a key part of the birds diet. This is due at least in part to the Winds that bring the "upwelling" of deep water to the surface, carrying with it the vital food source. This has aparently affected the birds reproduction schedule. No food has caused many birds to skip the spring mating altogether. Very few nesting sites are showing nestlings, where there should be thousands. The Zooplankton is only now showing up in a few spots since the winds have picked up over the last week or so, but sadly to little, to late.

Deerhawk

#7 ·
Did Smolts Show Up At Empty Dinner Table?

In re to the die off of murres on the central Oregon coast, I'm wondering if the smolts entering the estuaries and oceans this spring didn't meet a similar fate. We had a lot of late spring rain, which should have done a marvelous job of flushing the young migrants out to sea -- a good thing. If these fish then found themselves in a sterile sea, that does not bode well for returns two-to-four years down the line-- obviously a bad thing. I haven't seen anything in the local press about this, but I'll try to track down some information at the Marine Sciences Center.

Meanwhile, I'm concerned.

Eric

#8 ·
Hey Moonlight...

I will be conducting interpersonal testing of the areas adjacent to Neah Bay the first week of August for temperature and salinity and "Vintage" probably do some fishing too!!!
You gonna be able to get over this way for some testing? I've got a couple of "rattlers" cornered and ready to go. :lildevl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.