New Salt Rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 AM

New Salt Rod

What is going to be your next salt water rod, and what weight. As most know I got my eye on the Sage Xi2 in an 8 wt, still waiting to cast that rocket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 02:05 PM

I have the 8 wt. XI2 in a four piece and love it.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:20 PM

Winston BIIx 12wt, tested it side by side this Tarpon season with a Xi2, and a GLX... The Winston is a better all around rod. It not only will make long casts in the wind, but it will make super short casts quickly and easily.

Josh
<non sponsor link deleted>
Old 07-21-2005, 12:43 PM

Who makes the GLX again? Before I buy my new 8 wt I want to casts a lot of rods and then make a informed decision.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Flats Rat

The GLX is made by Loomis.

I have one of the older models 9ft 9wt which is my favorite saltwater rod.

I think they refer to it a cross-current GLX these days.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 PM

7wt GLX (they still offer the "non crosscurrent version") or Xi2 for me for bones...
Old 07-22-2005, 10:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
It'll be a long time before my next salt rod (too many other priorities). Probably a 10 wt of some kind so I can go after tarpon and some other bigger species.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

Rods

I highly recommend the Winston BIIx, particularly as a bonefish rod. I've only cast the 8-weight version (which I use for my clients) and it does exactly what Josh mentions and what few rods do well: perform very well at almost any range. I used to love the GLX, and still do, but as hard as it is to believe I think the BIIx is a better bonefish rod.

Speaking of casting, most folks put their hands on a fast action 8-weight and they can't help but see how much line they throw. I don't blame them. With the performance of most rods nowadays casting long is a pleasure. Here's the problem, most bonefishing (particularly wading) happens inside of 60 feet but most anglers fail to practice casting these bigger rods short distances. I'm very serious about this, most of my clients miss fish not because they were too far away, but because they were too close! Nevertheless, folks continue to choose rods based on sheer power alone. I would have to say that since using the BIIx, we have definitely caught fish that we woudn't have if we were using a rod with a stiffer tip that cast a short line poorly. At the same time, loading it up for an 80-foot shot is no problem either.

I think it's great that you want to cast as many rods as you can, but while you're doing so don't forget to see how they handle a short line. 1) How easy is it to load under 30 feet? 2) How accurate is it at the same distance? 3) How many false cast does it take to place your fly in a 2-foot square at 30 feet? These are questions I would ask of any rod. For example, I have an 8-weight Redington Classic that I love. I've caught tons of bones on it, as have my clients. However, you really have to work to load it under 30 feet. Even for short casts you have to move the rod through a much longer arc than you'd normally make and double haul as well. All this translates into more work and more fatigue after a day of casting, particularly if you're blind casting. Now, I've learned to compensate pretty well for this, but it took some time. The first couple weeks I hated that thing. Then I uplined it by one and life was better. Turns out a more sensitive rod like the GLX or BIIx or some of the Sage rods would be better suited to the job.

Of course, if you're planning to toss big streamers at stripers all day with shooting heads, I'd probably pick a different rod. But if you want a great rod that works across the board, you can't go wrong with those mentioned.

Good luck on your new purchase.

Bonehead.

"And the sea shall grant to each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home."
Old 08-28-2005, 10:30 PM

Powell trial

My favorite saltwater rod is the Powell Tiburon II. You can get it on trial
Old 08-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bonehead, you make excellent points! Hope things are well down your way.

As a fellow sight fishing guide, despite being in two different climes, up here we also find that casts demand accuracy and even timing more than distance on the striper flats. However on bright days distance is important, and we do spend time on the surf so some power is handy. I personally use two-handers in the surf so my single-handed rods have become more specialized for specific flats duty and I use two-handed rods in lighter weights more and more on the flats as well but that's another topic.

After attending lots of shows and trying everything that the differences between the high-end saltwater flyrods are subtle in the 8wt class, with all the top brands producing absolute gems in this niche. Of course a few have the heart of a 2x4 but for the most part the big players offer such fine rods as to make it hard to decide which to buy. For instance my next purchase will be a brand that I do not have already just to have a nice mix, almost from a collector's sense. I own the RPLXi 8wt 5pc for travel, sooo nice to cast at any range and it fits inside my luggage. I've owned 3 IMX/GLXs over the years, another fine rod to say the least. My next SW rod will be a T&T which felt like an extension of my arm at the demo pool.

My belief is that the 7-8wt class is too important for any rod maker to get wrong. It suits SW, steelhead and salmon anglers as well as NZ trout, etc. I have cast few 8wt rods that I thought were not suitable for flats fishing.

However for me the line chosen makes a huge difference out on the flats. If the line does not load the rod with a suitable length for wading, then days with subdued light can be very frustrating. However on bluebird days when distance plays a role, the longer belly lines are more effective for me than the very short tapers that ruled other days. Where depth and current play a role, which is less frequent in bonefishing, clear intermediate heads are the best option all-around but a sinking line can be very effective for presentation purposes albeit more demanding.

Curious what line do you use on the Winston?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-08-2007, 04:09 AM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

In line...

Quote:
Curious what line do you use on the Winston?
Juro,

Just going through some old posts (out of curiousity) and ran across this. Thought I'd finally answer. I currently fish the Cortland 555 Tropic Plus. It's their new mono-core and it's a great line. Shoots far, floats hight, and loads fast. I find it has a shorter belly than the SA or Rio lines, which was what I was fishing on there. I still fish a couple Rio lines now and then - liking the backbone their stiff core gives in the wind - but have totally cooled on most anything put out by 3M. I got a couple Sage demo lines recently and was hugely disappointed, to put it mildly. Being kind I'd say they were worth every penny of the 15 bucks I paid for them.

I also just got a Wulff Bermuda Bonefish line: WF-7-F, pale blue. It seems to perform well so far, but I've yet to put it through the paces. I'm a little concerned about it's bouyancy so far, but have to say it has very little memory, shoots extremely well, and seems to perform under a variety of distances. Of course, this could be partly due to the rod (a Winston BIIx, 9'6" #7) which loads up easy and shoots far. I find that since using these rods a lot of my concern over line tapers, bellies and running lines seemed to drop off considerably. Now I just go fishing... not that I don't care or anything, but it hardly seems to matter to the cast as much as it used to. That's not to say it doesn't matter to the fish. There are still days I spool up a clear, intermediate head line cause the fishing demands it, but I don't have to chop 10 feet off the front taper of my lines just to get them to load quickly anymore.

Speaking of lines and tapers, I think a great thing for anyone to do the next time they're buy a line is to try out several lines and keep track of the stats on each line. Most lines have the various lengths of the front taper, belly, and shooting line on the back of the pack and whipping up a simple chart of each line you try out can be a real education. I bet in the end you'll find out that what Juro says is true: "the line chosen makes a huge difference out on the flats".

Bonehead
Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 AM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

Oops...

seems something went screwy here. didn't mean to post that many replies. Sorry Juro.

Please remove all but one. Thanks.

Davin
Old 04-08-2007, 08:27 AM

My next rod is the T&T Horizion II 8wt which I built this Winter. Will get a workout soon at the Clave. I plan to use this rod for Bones. FishHawk
Old 04-08-2007, 09:13 AM
In moderation

Hi Bonehead
I have just picked up on this thread.
I have used all sorts of rods for bonefishing but my favourite that I use now is an Orvis Zerogravity #8.
I think it is a very accurate rod.

I believe that most bonefish are caught between 30 and 60ft and you previous point about accuracy and not distance is spot on.

I think the line is very important and a line with a short head makes short casts easier. I have used many different lines but now I use the Teeny Flip Pallot line. In my opinion the best line for accurate short casts.

Pete
Old 04-08-2007, 02:06 PM

Don't forget to try the St. Croix Elite 8 wt. I own and love this rod and for a high end rod it is price less than most.

Second fav 8 wt is Xi2 sucker is a rocket.

Lastly Juro is dead on about modern 8 wts. You can't go wrong with any of them. Go the fly shop cast em all see which one calls your name. Then tell us what you bought!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.