Feb. Dry Fly Fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2001, 08:42 AM

Feb. Dry Fly Fishing

I did not think it would be possible but we caught fish on dry flies yesterday. The sun was on the water all day with the temp in the high forties. The fish were very skittish because of low water conditions but once the sun set below the canyon wall they started to feed. I found a gravel bar in about 6 inches of water where fish were battling each other for a space. At first i thought that they were spawning but they were nymphing like crazy. I hooked 5 fish out of that one spot, 2 brusers over 20 inches that took me for a ride one down stream and the other up. Meanwhile my friend was up at the emerald pool catching fish on drys. The fish were small browns about 12 inches but they were rising all over the pool. His best luck was with a stillborn midge. Things are starting to pick up I am ready for the baetis in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2001, 08:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Feb. Dry Fly Fishing

Brad -

I'm sure I am not the only one who is envious! Do you recommend a good hatch chart source for your area?

keep in touch,
Juro
Old 02-26-2001, 01:36 PM

Where is he?
Old 02-27-2001, 08:15 AM

I do not follow any one hatch chart. Roger Hill wrote a good book on fishing the south platte that is a must read for anyone planning a trip out here. It covers major hatches and matching flies on the south platte as well as techniques for high stick nymphing and stalking these wary fish. The waters vary so much i like to check with local flyshops for the latest conditions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.