HELP! - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 06:45 PM

HELP!

i am new to kayak fishing and would like some advice on a good beginner boat for myself , as well as my sons , ages 13 and 12 . i am 6`0 tall and weigh 210 lbs. my boys are average for their ages. we will be mostly in small lakes with the occasional ride to the coast for some inshore and backwater fishing. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Flats Rat

There is a huge selection of great kayaks out there now, many designed specifically for fishing. My advice for a fishing platform is to go with a sit-on-top design and then dress according to the water temperature.

All of the major manufacturers have a range of sizes from compact 12 footers (which are very nice and very functional) up to 16ft. The longer boats are faster and give you a drier ride - bear in mind that 'dry ride' is a relative term. As new models come onto the market, a lot of folks upgrade and sell off their existing boat - often at a very good price.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Perhaps the most important piece of equipment will be the flotation devices for the boys.

It would be nice if you could join the three craft together to form a nice casting platform when needed
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-11-2005, 11:32 PM

Steve -

As you might imagine, your question has been asked before. Use the "search" button on the dark blue bar above. I typed "what kayak?" in the advanced search line and on just this forum got 100 threads. Some were off topic, but many were from new entrants wanting advice. The accumulated wisdom is building up after years on this forum. Take advantage of what's already here. Note, too, that a couple of the SPONSORS of this board are kayak dealers. I realize that they're a long way from your home waters, but at least one, Billington Sea Kayak, is extraordinarily service-minded. If you were to call and mention the board, you might be able to schmooze a little and narrow your search before you start to test paddle. Good hunting.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Morania
Wilderness Systems

Wilderness Systems has a couple of great sit-on-tops available for fishing. The Tarpon is one of them. Don't rule out the recreational models either.
I recommend them from vast experience with their boats versus the other guys and I have found yaks for kids and my own mom (64) in their line.
They offer great designs for a little money. Dollar per degree of architecture, they have been the best value.

Last edited by Morania; 07-18-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to The French guy
I refer you to this post I just wrote: http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...613#post147613

Also, I have bought myself a Heritage Dolphin when long paddle is not requiered and high maneuverability is a must for bonefishing. I can stand on it. I would not hesitate to buy one for a 12-13 yo child. There are other good boats too. But I have never paddled them.

Serge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.