Guide/Captain Recommendation - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 PM

Guide/Captain Recommendation

All,

I would like to take my spin-fishing father and brother out in the salt. I normally wade, but this is a celebratory trip for dad's recent all-clear on his cancer treatment, and well need to go out in a boat. Dad enjoys Maryland/Delaware. Any off shore guides/captains that anyone would be comfortable recommending? Ill put down the fly rod (gasp!) in favor of good trip for the old man.

Thanks,

Shaun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 06:00 PM
President of CAC

Shaun, call Bruce or Ruth Zeller at "Fishing The Cape" the Orvis store where I am head instructor for the School... they have a list of Boat Captains, Tony Biskey, etc.... also Check out a guy named Jeff Smith in Orleans.....
Old 07-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I believe Sparks was inquiring about Maryland/Delaware but I am not certain.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Juro is correct. Schedules do not permit driving from southern PA to New England, though I would really enjoy that.

It would be nice to make up for my week-long trip to Maine in early June that was completely washed out by rain. The closest I got to a fish was seeing some alewives run the fish ladder on the Andro at Brunswick. Oh well...

As an aside, I would like to commend all the regular participants to the Forum. Just reading the posts has saved me a lot of grief and lead to some very enjoyable fishing, including my first saltwater fly fishing outing in Bermuda last fall (my wife gets a vote on destinations, and we haven't been married long enough for her to want to get rid of me for a week). Using advice from the forum I was able to find lots of good fishing on my own.

One bit of advice that I would add is that anyone going to Bermuda to wade should have a sinking line (I did not, and there is no shop to obtain lots of fly fishing supplies either). Many of the flats were deep (3-5') even at low tide. My not having a sinking line was rookie mistake. I believe I would have done better if I were able to get my streamers and clousers down under the wave action.

Also, I did a lot of fishing in chest-deep water, which might not have been that smart in hindsight.

Nevertheless, the first ten minutes into the fishing I was into a school of gaff topsail pompano in the reefs off south shore park. What a blast!

Also, I saw the giant bonefish while walking on cliffs above the water on various parts of the Island, but did not catch any. I lost count of all the blue grunts I cought, which I began to refer to as the sunny of the sea.

What fun and what a setting for my first saltwater outing. If anyone is interested in more details I'd be glad to oblige.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Glad the Bermuda reports helped. I was soooooo close to getting the giant bonefish to eat my fly. I would swear that the only thing they didn't like was the smell after they had come so close and followed it so far. Although it's not a bonefishing destination by any means when my wife says she's like to go back I am all for it. It's a great little island.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.