South County, dusk to dawn - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Fly chucker

South County, dusk to dawn

Bert and I spent the entire night in areas between Point Judith and Weekapaug, searching for some fish. The wind was blowing hard from the west and although a few small bass were caught here and there, we didn't find any real action until ninety minutes before sunrise on a salt pond.

There was a mix of stripers and hickory shad, then just stripers, then just shad, then just small blues. The frequency of the fish seemed to adjust as the light levels changed towards sunrise. The fish were on grass shrimp and very tiny sand eels. Clouser minnows and General Practicioners (thanks Adrian) caught most of the fish, along with some black flatwings.

The last ninety minutes of action seemed to make up for our slow start. The wind calmed down nicely as dawn approached, making the experience even more enjoyable.
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 06:46 PM

I fished Weekapoug on the Fourth of July weekend and due to amazing clear water, I saw very impressive numbers of serious mid size bass everywhere. I had three footers following me in the shallows where I was body surfing with 600 other people. The fish were clearly following me [presumably to catch forage I disturbed] and were totally bold and allowed me to approach very close.
Fish of all sizes fed within noisy splashy abandon after dark on totally invisible bait.
Bass could be seen in broad day light cruising along the rocks of the jetty both inside and out.
Striper carcasses up to about 48 inches littered the bottom near the boat docks.
I saw a diver drag two fish out of the surf with a combined weight of over 50 lbs.
I never laid metal to fish flesh the whole weekend.
I loved every minute of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Mike,

I've seen more bass while swimming in the Weekapaug area (in front of jetties and right off the beach club) than I've ever caught there. Its the only place I've ever been able to photograph them underwater and grab a hold of one's tail before he bolted off. I swear that beach is one of my favorites in the world. The sand, the surf, the water, its all so pristine still. I loved hoping up on a long board after work and watching the bass swimming around while riding in a lazily rolling surf in the setting sun...

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.