Huge Carp, Broken 7wt . . . - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 05:23 PM
_

Huge Carp, Broken 7wt . . .

and I hadn't even casted yet .

I stopped by the river on Saturday to check the water level. Looking down from the bridge, I spotted a large carp, probably over 20 lbs, feeding right on the bank. As I was trying to sneak down to the river bank, I put the rod together and pulled on the fly to pull the leader through the rod tip . *snap* The top section of my 4 piece 7wt snapped just above the ferrule . I was mad at myself for being so careless, but the carp was still there and I thought would feel a little better if I could at least hook the fish. I cut the line, took off the broken section and tied on the carp fly. Even without the rod tip I dropped two casts right on the fish's nose but it ignored the fly and moved down the bank a bit. When I tried to get into position for another cast I spooked the fish and it disappeared in a swirl of mud and bubbles. To make matters worse, it had started to rain while I was casting at the fish, and it became a downpour before I could pack up and get back to the car. This was not one of my better outings . . .

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Fly chucker

Sorry to hear about your broken rod, Q.

Days like that just make the good ones seem even sweeter, I suppose.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:36 PM
_

Back in action with the 7wt -- one week and $30.85 later. Replacement was a TFO Professional Series, which I guess is the basic model. It casts well and has already seen some action with a nice carp, a few largemouths and a couple pickerel . Only gripe is that is doesn't have a hook holder .

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.