Shadfest Update! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2005, 05:42 PM
resigned

Shadfest Update!

I'd like to thank all that have gotten involved in this tremendous opportunity to catch a personal best striped bass on a shad design. I'd say we're off to a good start with the first attempt by Grizz070 (Chuck), who gave it his best shot with two strong hits on his monsterous 15 inch patterns that are absolutely beautiful, all synthetic and VERY realistic in the water. The fish were hitting the center of these large patterns. He has added stinger hooks to the center for his next visit. He wanted to come this past Thursday but it was his birthday and a party was in the works. He was glad he was armed with his Atlantis after seeing these large fish chase the live (flyrod) lined shad to our feet. The shad were pulled and his new pattern was cast into the frenzy. A dead drift with short tugs seems to do the trick. We did learn that the fly needed to be deeper.

Next in the batter's box was Doublehaul (Mark) on Thursday night armed with his Altlantis. We srated at 8pm with a 10pm high tide. I tried with great difficulty to hook only two shad for the bait and switch technique of the previous week. They showed rather late. Mark was throwing patterns of his own design of the feathered variety with stinger hooks. Very colorful and a bit shorter being only one foot in lenght. I'm sure he can give you a fine description on how to tie his pattern. His did not get a take during the bait and switch but shortly after the shad lessened their appearance on the surface he got a VERY strong fish blindcasting that put the Atlantis to the test. A 5-10 minute battle bought to hand a very fat 37 to 38 inch ( I think it was longer) personal best for Mark. I took some photos and they will be posted shortly. Just after the release of that fish Mark hooked another bass on his first cast! A very strong 32 incher. No knicks on the 30 lb. leader and the fly held up very well. First of the two was hooked on the chin and the second in the jaw. Both on the forward hooks. We called it quits at 10pm.... slack tide. The Atlantis is the ONLY way to go!!!!!!!! A nine footer simply can't hold the fish off the bottom structure and weeds. Thanks Juro for the advice and proper tools to get the job done! Mark did you very proud with the Atlantis and his fish fighting ability. He really knows the down and dirty of turning a large, hot fish! It was headed for the pilings around the bend. He's a very happy man! I've lost numerous HUGE fish to those dock pilings.

A 40 lb.+ fish is waiting to be fooled. Who's the next batter??????????

Phil
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Alright Phil,

Curiosity has definitely killed the cat. I'll contact you offline for directions... and no matter what happens THANK YOU in advance
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2005, 11:12 PM
LBFF Mojo

Hey Phil,

How long will these fish be around? Seems your place cannot be too far from providence and I would like to take a crack at these fish. However I am still a month and a half away from moving out there...

Still looking forward to taking you steelheading in August if you are going to be around.

-sean
Old 07-10-2005, 07:10 AM
resigned

Shadfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Hey Phil,

How long will these fish be around? Seems your place cannot be too far from providence and I would like to take a crack at these fish. However I am still a month and a half away from moving out there...

Still looking forward to taking you steelheading in August if you are going to be around.

-sean
Sean. Thanks very much for the offer! Still undecided on a PNW trip yet. If airline tickets come down in the last minute I'll be very tempted. The shad should still be around in late August-early September and you are only an hour away from Mystic. Please give me a shout when you are ready!

Phil
Old 07-10-2005, 07:26 AM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Alright Phil,

Curiosity has definitely killed the cat. I'll contact you offline for directions... and no matter what happens THANK YOU in advance
Juro........ Come anytime but incoming tides are best. The outgoing forms a rip that is very strong and makes for a shorter swing. I know that your schedule is very tight so just come when you can. You are welcome to bring the family if they are up for a trip to Mystic. If the shad don't show and the fishing is slow, there are other spots.

Phil
Old 07-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Fly chucker

Phil-

First, thanks again.

Second, I've arrived at 37 inches for the length of that fish by observing the photo where I'm holding it against the Atlantis. The first stripping guide is at the 40 inch mark, and the fish appears to be five inches below that. Since a couple inches of tail were actually still on the ground as I held the fish, I arrived at 37 inches (40 minus five, plus two).

I got your message about the e-mail with the pics and will sort things out. Thanks for the trouble of getting them to me.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:04 AM
resigned

Batter up!!!!!

Sean M. is in the batter's box for this evening. Going to be a real challange. After all the pea soup weather and very few shad showing this full moon tide will hopefully fulfill his mission of an all time personal best. I spent the last two nights casting larger flies(dripping wet!) without trying for shad with no results. I'm not the best at tying these huge flies so perhaps Seans patterns will look more appetizing! Let's give Sean a High Five and wish him the best!

Report to follow.

Phil
Old 07-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Fly chucker

Go get 'em guys.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Swordfish
Nice going!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Jonesin...

Thanks to Phil for having me over this evening. Shad made their appearance right on schedule but were busting a little far out. Phil managed to hook one shad that eventually got the attention of a nice bass. We tried the bait and switch but it was unsuccessfull. After about an hour with the big fly I decided to downsize to a 7" bunny deciever style fly and managed to hook a small keeper to end the night. All in all it was a fantastic night to be on the water in a beautiful spot. Already looking forward to round two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystic Bass 001 (WinCE).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	4856  

Last edited by Smcdermott; 07-20-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Jonesin...

And the release...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystic Bass 002 (WinCE).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	4858  
Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 AM

good fish congradulatons
Old 07-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

NICE!

The hitting streak continues

I am warming up the bat...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 AM
resigned

It's odd that the images on the back of these digital cameras are so much lighter than they look here. Sean's release shot, which I took, clearly shows the fish in hand. Juro? Any fix when transfering via usb cable from the camera as an attachment to this site? I'm a photographer but somewhat digitally challanged.

The full moon was just clearing the horizon over Fisher's Island when Sean and I arrived at the spot around 8:30 pm. 'Good God' what an evening! Bright orange, almost full moon and a slight breeze. The tide was almost slack and very high. The wakes from the occasional boat traffic were washing over our feet as the Hickory Shad started their aerial acrobatics. Again, not as many as usual but a showing none the less. Managed to hook two and it was Deja Vu. After the boils stopped and Sean gave up on his Shad pattern the skunk was gone. The small keeper only felt that way on Sean's 12 wt. T&T. It wasn't until we lipped it that we realized it was acually larger than we thought.

The Shadfest learning curve is begining to throw hints at us. The synthetics have proven useful but not successful. Sean got a few hits but no hookups on his synthetic Shad pattern. The stinger was fouling the fly so he cut it off. Mark, however, has a proven pattern in his feathered Shad fly. It is double tiered meaning a second set of feathers are tied on the snelled stinger hook to make it longer. My personal observations lead me to believe that this design allows the fly needed movement as it appeared to swing back and forth on the retrieve.

The bait and switch technique has been unsuccessful. These cows know their grass and Astro Turf does not work. LOL!!!! The only thing lacking in the curve is the fact that I have been throwing bigger flies and not feeding them live Shad! Hmmmm?
Perhaps if I feed them more often???????

Batter up!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil
Old 07-21-2005, 08:45 AM
resigned

It's odd that the images on the back of these digital cameras are so much lighter than they look here. Sean's release shot, which I took, clearly shows the fish in hand. Juro? Any fix when transfering via usb cable from the camera as an attachment to this site? I'm a photographer but somewhat digitally challanged.

The full moon was just clearing the horizon over Fisher's Island when Sean and I arrived at the spot around 8:30 pm. 'Good God' what an evening! Bright orange, almost full moon and a slight breeze. The tide was almost slack and very high. The wakes from the occasional boat traffic were washing over our feet as the Hickory Shad started their aerial acrobatics. Again, not as many as usual but a showing none the less. Managed to hook two and it was Deja Vu. After the boils stopped and Sean gave up on his Shad pattern the skunk was gone. The small keeper only felt that way on Sean's 12 wt. T&T. It wasn't until we lipped it that we realized it was acually larger than we thought.

The Shadfest learning curve is begining to throw hints at us. The synthetics have proven useful but not successful. Sean got a few hits but no hookups on his synthetic Shad pattern. The stinger was fouling the fly so he cut it off. Mark, however, has a proven pattern in his feathered Shad fly. It is double tiered meaning a second set of feathers are tied on the snelled stinger hook to make it longer. My personal observations lead me to believe that this design allows the fly needed movement as it appeared to swing back and forth on the retrieve.

The bait and switch technique has been unsuccessful. These cows know their grass and Astro Turf does not work. LOL!!!! The only thing lacking in the curve is the fact that I have been throwing bigger flies and not feeding them live Shad! Hmmmm?
Perhaps if I feed them more often???????

Batter up!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.