Not for faint hearted! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 10:06 AM

Not for faint hearted!

Those who fish out of small craft every once in a great while need a reality check. I ran across this site while doing some off shore home work this morning. And to think just a few years ago there were many ocean experts that said that 100 foot plus waves could not exist.

Happy boating

http://tv-antenna.com/heavy-seas/
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Fly chucker

I need some dramamine after looking at that.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:18 AM

Sea Stories.....

Looking at those pictures reminds me of why I never really liked fishing offshore in the Winter in the Gulf of Alaska.(Although I did it) Thanks for sharing my worst nightmare with evryone!!!!
Those Hurricane force Westerlies that infrequently hit the Coast of SE Alaska are almost always worse than forecasted but all Mariners that are out that far are supposed to know that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Duble Haul,

I've never been sea sick in my life but I know what you mean, I'm a little un-easy in the mid section right now.

Moonlight,

I was thinking of you when I posted the site knowing full well that you have been there done that before. Sorry if it brings up some not so fond memories but you made it and you are now retired from having to go to sea to make a living. I have had some experiences in tropical waters aboard a small craft with big nasty seas. As bad as they were I don't consider it the same as cold water seas and how nasty they can be. In cold water the seas seem so very heavy when it gets going. Your equipment seems to not work as it should and your mind and body can panic too easily. Those who make their living by the sea and some of those who set out for adventure on the high seas had to be born to do so. I will show Tracy that website so she knows full well what she could be getting into on our world cruise though I know it's rare to get caught in such seas in this day and age if you don't have too.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Fluff

Those experts were wrong thirty and forty and fifty and sixty years ago and more. The North Atlantic offered up 120-130'+ to us on one patrol They ought to be talking with some of the retired weathermen we took on patrol with us, back when the motto translated to "you have to go out - you don't have to come back."

Semper Paratus

Last edited by DFix; 07-08-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:50 PM

Yeah!

OC,
That site kicks it! Reminds me of the paddle out at Hanalei on a 20+ day. Sometimes you just know your gonna get driven to the bottom. Aye, She's a nasty Lady sometimes!
DH
Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Deerhawk!!!

I didn't know you used to surf Hanalei. Your about my age, those were the days. Billy and the boys. What we find out about our fishing friends. 20+= Hawaiian 40 footers, days gone by only good to tell the grandkids about now. Hey we did it though

She can be nasty but she is fair. You know what the Hawaiians say. "Never turn your back on her". "Sit and watch her for 45 minutes then wait some more". We don't have that option when we go to sea in ships and that's the difference.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:20 PM

OH YEAH!

OC,
Here we go! Moved to Kauai in the winter of 78-79. Lived in the Pole houses (Princeville) right across from Hidaways. Jenny Ching was my landlady (Ching's store, before her son built that stupid mall) Worked at HBR as a cook at night, rippin it every day. Had 2 Skip Frye "Frye Flier" rounded pins I brought from S.D. Andy Irons (just saw him in a spread in the latest Surfer 'casual at Teahupoo) was a 5 year old beach grem, as was Billys kid Laird. Use to go down to the Phillipino Camp in Kilauea to pick Bananas and Papayas once a week. Partys at Reds house (Papilion Helecopters) The Steakhouse in Princeville, babysitting for Bernie Leddin's kids out in Wainiha, Tunnels go outs, Hammerheads just outside the line-up. I flyfished in town when the surf was down (Wailua/Waimea Rivers) for Square tails. Left for Maui in 81 where I lived and surfed for 14 years. Yes good times, very good times!
So OC, I will consider you a "Bra" from now on, cuz u waz deah!

DaHawk
Old 07-09-2005, 08:35 AM

Thumbs up

I suppose it just goes to prove that there are "water" people and "mountain" people.

Don't put me out in those sea states, ... I'd probably die from fright. You guys(and gals) are crazy to go out, work and help others in that stuff. (Then again, you'd probably think we're crazy to jump out of perfectly good aircraft ).

Helps us to remember those in the Merch. Marine and S&R that do whatever needs to be done to get the job done.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
WOW, those are some big waves. The one looking out the back of the ship where the wave is a lot higher than the person taking the photo is the scariest one to me. Wow...
Old 07-10-2005, 05:16 PM

fcch,

It's sort of all the same thing. I think you know what I mean, eh!

Your new name now, Da Hawk. I know we surfed together on Maui often. I'm the guy that drove Woody around all the time after they wouldn't let him drive no moa.
It's too bad we didn't do some fly fishing on the flats while we were there. Only knew one other fly fisherman on Maui.

Teflon,
I just bought an exrta 100 feet of chain today after looking at that sight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.