Thanks a bunch, Phil! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Fly chucker

Thanks a bunch, Phil!

Our resident Sultan of the Shadfest was kind enough to show me the spectacle that is Mystic River striper fishing last night. Things started off quiet, but finished with a bang.

The shad weren't overly abundant, but we were able to hook a few and tease some cows up. Once a shad was hooked, I picked up the Atlantis and threw a long shad fly into the mix. The fly didn't earn any takes in these situations.

After the shad stopped showing, I persisted with blind casting the shad imitation and shorty after nine o'clock I hooked up on a good fish. After a good tussle, Phil helped me land my new personal best flyrod striper, a VERY fat 37". We estimated it at somewhere between 17 and 19 pounds. Two casts later I hooked another, this one being 32". Pictures are forthcoming.

What a night......Phil showed me around his fishing area, and I must say that I'm very envious of his location. He can launch a kayak from his back yard, and he can can enjoy the shadfest with only a five minute walk.

Great scenery, great company, and a new personal best.....thanks Phil!
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Jonesin...

Well done guys. Sorry I had to miss it. Definitely need to get down there.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A very fat 37" could easily go 20#! Nice fish, Phil you are truly the king of the shad-eaters.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
A very fat 37" could easily go 20#!
I admit that I'm being conservative with the weight estimate. When the pictures are posted here, I'd like some of you to "weigh in" with your opinions.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:15 PM

Way to go Mark. FishHawk
Old 07-08-2005, 06:12 PM
resigned

You are MOST welcome Mark! This is such a phenominal fishing arena right out my front door, I often wonder, "Why go anywhere else?" Half the fun of fishing is finding new places and new faces along the way, thus the long drives. I've met so many generous, fellow fly chuckers on this Forum and hope to meet many more. My wife was begining to think I was the only crazed flyfishing addict in this region until; she met Grizz and Doublehaul here on the Island. To see their faces when they arrive at the SPOT and the ensuing view helps me realize how forunate I am to live here.
Must not take where I live for granted after 24 years, so it's here to share if anyone wants to visit. Perhaps it's time to start a Mystic Angling Club (MAC)? Where am I going to find a FEZ? LOL!!!!!!!!!

By the way. I made some prints of the 37 inch fish Mark caught and when he measured it against his Atlantis rod the tail was lying flat on the outcropping, so, I'd say we add a few more inches. Also. Mark did right by bringing the Atlantis. Not a single nick in his 30 lb. leader. Mark's an animal in the fish fighting department.

Excellent job Mark! Please come back to the MAC real soon my friend! I'd say 22 lbs. easy!!!!!!

Phil
Old 07-08-2005, 10:56 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Guys,

Mark - Way to go on getting hooked up with your new personal best on the flyrod. I wouldn't mind doing alittle exploring down there in the kayaks sometime, it's closer for me than watch hill. I have been looking for a decent shad pattern to tie up, curious what you came up with. Did you by chance post a picture and recipe in the archives?

Phil - Thanks for sharing one of your great spots with another fellow enthusiast on the forum.

Tight Lines,
Greg.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:33 AM
resigned

Phil - Thanks for sharing one of your great spots with another fellow enthusiast on the forum.

My pleasure Greg! I think sharing spots (off line of course) may be voted as the best reason to be involved and meet others on the FFF. As beautiful as this place is I need new eye candy from time to time. Come on up and visit some time soon.

Phil
Old 07-09-2005, 08:23 PM

shad fly

hi pil,
if yu want to take a photo of the 15" one go ahead and post it and if anyone wants the pattern, i will gladly post it
Old 07-10-2005, 05:34 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz0707
hi pil,
if yu want to take a photo of the 15" one go ahead and post it and if anyone wants the pattern, i will gladly post it
Having trouble with posting pics. Usb cable for camera is missing. Please feel free to post those great looking flies for all to see!

Phil
Old 07-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Fly chucker

Greg- I will post the fly pattern to the archive when I have an opportunity, probably by Tuesday night.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Guys,

Phil - I couldn't agree more about sharing spots and meeting up with others on the forum. I Certainly think of it as one of the best reasons to be a member. I know I've learned alot and met alot of great people here. Perhaps if I ever get through the ever expanding honey do list from hell, I might get out fishing down you way sometime this summer or fall.

Thanks for the invite, are nights or early morning the best time to be there?
It seems I'll probably have alittle easier time getting out in the evening to fish in the future. Full moons a couple of weeks away, I enjoy fishing alot on clear nights with a full moon. Perhaps I can get away, I'll send you some mail If I have a chance to stop down and visit sometime.

Mark - Thanks, no rush just curious to see what you were using. I have a couple big patterns, But they don't strike me as a good shad imitation's. They might work, just think they could be alot closer in color.

Thanks,
Greg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.