SE CT Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 09:30 AM

SE CT Report

Been a while since I posted but that's just because I have been on the water ALOT! So far this year has been 100 x's better than last year as far as Line Siders go. On every outing I have been picking up at least 5 fish. Nothing huge to brag about but healthy fat schoolie fish with a few keeper sized fish falling to flies and 4' Rubber Storm Shads in Bunker Color. There seems to be a lack of Sand Eels but a good supply of Large Silver Sides has taken thier place. There also is a fair amount of large bunker in the area of Greenwich CT up to Bridgeport. The meat slingers have been hitting huge fish and lots of them. I did hear of a Gent that fished a 14' Bunker fly on a 500grn under a bunker school that landed and released a 35lb+ fish. I didn't see it with my own eyes but there was numerous eye-witnesses that verified the tale. So far my luck has been GREAT and since I haven't hooked a singel Bluefish yet is a miracle. A friend of mines son hooked into a 18lb+ blue that battled him in 3ft of water for almost 40 minutes until he finally bit through the mono leader boatside. The kid was bummed but I made the point " did you want to get near that mouth to take the hook out? "

This past weekend I took my GF's Stepfather out. Mind you he barley knew wich end of a rod to use. Being soooooo green I gave him a light spinning rod with a 4' Storm, a few pointers and let him flail away. Well as fate would have he hooked a striper.. small about 5lbs, you would have thought it was 50lbs by the way he danced around the boat! Of course he was reeling against the drag, kicking rods out of the rod holders, scuffing the living hell out of the deck with his BLACK SOLED SNEAKERS. I couldnt really say anything about it though... it was his first fihing trip in over 25yrs. After a few minutes of loosining the drag for him and explaining.. " when he goes... let him, keep tight... keep the pressure on him.. but not to much. I finally lipped his 1st Striper. He was all fired up excited as I took his pic with the camera phone.

I was thinking about his excitement the other night and realized that for us that have caught 100's if not thousands of fish over the years that elated feeling has faded. What would it take for us to get that "Pumped" over a fish again? A 20? 30? a 40lb fish on light tackle? Im not sure what it would take. Maybe it would take time away from the water? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... maybe I just need to be on the water more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadmike
I was thinking about his excitement the other night and realized that for us that have caught 100's if not thousands of fish over the years that elated feeling has faded.
I still get excited over every fish I catch, even the small ones. I guess I'm still a kid at heart.

Pardon the question, but aren't you talking about SW Connecticut (not SE)?

Either way, good report.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:35 PM

I guess ya got me there.. should have been SW CT. I get screwy with that because I drive SE to get to CT. I live NW of CT in NY.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Fly chucker

You may have to drive SE to get to CT, but you live closer to the Hudson than the rest of us.

Score one point for you on that!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:49 PM

Speaking of Hudson..... heard the worm hatch was going down big time the other day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.