Miramichi Fishing Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 09:51 AM

Miramichi Fishing Report

I fished the Miramichi above Boisetown from July 13th through 16th. Water was a perfect height and temperature good, and very clear. The fishing -- as always -- was excellent, but the catching was not.

We arrived at 4pm on Wednesday, July 13th, and started fishing at about 6pm -- the perfect time for the evening fishing to begin. At about 7pm, I hooked what felt like a nice fish, but it got off before I could see it. That was the only fish I hooked. My fishing companion hooked one on Friday, but that was it for both of us. A third fellow who was fishing the same pool as we were hooked a 5 lb. grilse that jumped about 7 times before throwing the hook.

We did go down to the pool that I like to fish -- Big Hole -- but the daily fee has been increased from $450US to $600US for four rods. We sat around jawing with the guides at the pool for about an hour and saw about a fish every 90 seconds either jump, porpoise, or rise. They estimated the pool was holding about 1500 fish at the time. Fishing that pool will takle some planning, but I think we will do it next season.

We spent most of the mid-day scouting other public water, but found nothing too promising. The water we fished was farther up-river than I normally fish, but it looked good. I am told it is better in autumn.

Sad as it is, that's the report.

Last edited by Smolt; 07-20-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Question

Smolt,

Thanks for the "report".

Hey question, ... 600$ USD for 4 anglers, .... did that price include the Guide ??

I understand that NB waters require non-residents to use the services of a Guide. (I think).
Old 07-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Flats Rat

Nice report Smolt.

That pool sounds reminiscent of the Ridge Pool on the Moy in Balina, Eire.

Back in the 80's, through some local connections with the Moy Fishery, a couple of friends and I had that pool for the princely sum of 20 Irish Punts each for an 8 hour spell and that included the services of a ghillie! The June grilse run used to be outstanding.

Being in the middle of town, as you would expect, there is a fine Irish pub (Docherty's Ridge Pool Bar if I remember correctly) right next to the river and it was there that our Ghillie recieved his well earned tip
Old 07-20-2005, 05:47 PM

FCCH,

Your understanding that all non-residents in NB require a guide is correct, and the $600 fee does not include guides. I say "guides" because if all four rods are non-residents, two guides will be needed -- a maximum of three "sports" per guide. The trick is to find one resident with whom to fish.

While I have never seen a time after July 1 when that pool has not held fish, the fact that there are fish there in numbers does not mean any will rise to the fly. I have fished the pool many days in the past when no one caught a fish. It is, however, much better to know you are putting your fly over fish rather than just rocks.

CK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2005, 07:33 PM

Wink

CK, ... LoL, ... Yup, ... it is a bit more "encouraging" when one KNOWS there are salmon in the pool.

Then again, ... I'll take 3 "interested" fish over a ton of sleepers.

The other weekend, ... there were perhaps 4-6 salmon in Glass pool up here and Boris Tremblay connected nicely to one.

Boris doing the honors, ... We'd rather do a quick clean release than get a good picture

As for finding a NB resident to join the party, ... I know... A few crew members at my old office were saddened 'cause they lost their NB "resident" status after finding jobs in Quebec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.