Fly Fishing Forum banner

For the NH folks...

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rjbadfish 
#1 ·
I just returned from a week long vacation in the Portsmouth area and I figured that I would post a report for the North Shore and Seacoast fishermen out there.

I fished from shore in the Piscataqua last Tuesday night from 7 PM to 1 AM or so. There were lots of twinks around but I managed a decent 24" fish that jumped all over the place when hooked - much like a blue. These bigger fish were prowling the mussel beds on the outgoing. The fly of choice was some abortion of a night fly that I tied years ago. The fly consisted of long black hackles (they really move in the current) and a spun deer hair head made of trimmed black fur.

On Wednesday morning I kayaked out into the Atlantic and fished the rocks in Rye on the outgoing tide. After 3 hours of fishing and paddling all I had to show for my efforts was a single schoolie. It was a great morning and I learned some great spots for the Fall migration.

On Thursday night I kayaked out into the Piscataqua for the 1st time ever. The currents were plenty tame for me and I was in heaven fishing the rips. The gulls were diving on banana sized pollack - a very good sign. As the sun set I started picking up plenty of strong 23-26" schoolies that were a real challenge to land from the yak. At this very moment I fell in love with kayak fishing. No keepers for me but I did not care. It was a great night.

A morning sortie to the same rip only produced a single fish on the same tide - only in the AM. Good enough but not what I wanted. Fewer birds in the river this AM.

Later in the week an evening sortie to the same spot led to a fat skunking. Met up with a familiar boat (Pisces) and we were both wondering where the fish went.

This morning, I woke up and looked out the window of my in-laws' place. I could spy birds working feverishly over this same rip. Alas, the tide was out and I was landlocked. No launching for my kayak this AM.

All in all a decent week of fishing for me and very good therapy for the soul.

Fish on,

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Great report. I fished the mouth of the Hampton River last week with similiar results.

Here is a question that hopefully someone can answer. I got into a school of fish working over some sand eels in the 2-3 " range. The school was mixed with shad up to 2 1/2-3 pounds and some of the smallest stripers I have ever seen up north. I caught two that would have measured less than six inches in length. I find it hard to believe that these little guys made the journey from the Hudson or Chesepeake. I have heard of spawning activity in the Saco in Maine. Any educated guesses as to where these fish may have originated from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.