Fly Fishing Forum banner

The downside of one rod...

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  ashbourn 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am pretty knew to the world of fly fishing, but I have a feeling that its only going to be the start of a lifelong hobby.

Anyways at this point in time I only have enough money to buy one rod and reel and I was thinking of going with TFO for both. However, I dont know what weight to buy that would sort of be an all around weight. Im only going to be fishing some smallmouht bass and mainly trout.

I was also wondering what would the downside be to only one rod like say an 8 weight? Because I know that lots of fishers have like 3 diff rods but fish around the same size fish...

Thanks for your input,
-Dave W.

#2 ·
How big are the smallmouths? If they aren't too big then a 4 wt rod would work really well for both.

Using a single rod for both is a compromise. If you are dragging heavy bass out of weed beds a 4 wt is way too light. On the otherhand an 8 wt will make it hard to delicately present dry flies to trout. A 5 or 6wt might be an acceptable compromise...

The TFO is a decent rod. I have a 2 hander and really like it. I'm considering a 9 wt for Saltwater use.

One other thing to consider. Try you local fly shop. Look for last years model rod. Sometimes they are discounted. I managed to get a Scott 4 wt rod, a Scientific Anglers Concept 2 fly reel and a RIO "Selective Trout" line for under $225.

By the way. I use that 4 wt rod for bass as well as trout. Works great as long as I don't have to drag a big bass out of the weeds or throw a BIG bass bug. (It's a little light to throw bass bugs. It throws a size 8 streamer pretty good though.)

#6 ·
I'd get a 5 or 6 weight 8'6 or 9' rod. Find a fly shop in your area and cast a bunch and find something that's comfortable. That's the most important thing. If you decide on a 5 wt, make sure it's not a full flex rod. You'll want something with a bit more backbone for those smallmouth, and especially if you start using it for largemouth in and around weeds. If you plan on fishing small streams a lot, I'd go for the 8'6 instead of the 9'. If you plan on focusing more on rivers, ponds, and lakes, I'd go with the 9'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.