The downside of one rod... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2005, 08:49 AM

The downside of one rod...

Hey guys,

I am pretty knew to the world of fly fishing, but I have a feeling that its only going to be the start of a lifelong hobby.

Anyways at this point in time I only have enough money to buy one rod and reel and I was thinking of going with TFO for both. However, I dont know what weight to buy that would sort of be an all around weight. Im only going to be fishing some smallmouht bass and mainly trout.

I was also wondering what would the downside be to only one rod like say an 8 weight? Because I know that lots of fishers have like 3 diff rods but fish around the same size fish...

Thanks for your input,
-Dave W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2005, 09:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
How big are the smallmouths? If they aren't too big then a 4 wt rod would work really well for both.

Using a single rod for both is a compromise. If you are dragging heavy bass out of weed beds a 4 wt is way too light. On the otherhand an 8 wt will make it hard to delicately present dry flies to trout. A 5 or 6wt might be an acceptable compromise...

The TFO is a decent rod. I have a 2 hander and really like it. I'm considering a 9 wt for Saltwater use.

One other thing to consider. Try you local fly shop. Look for last years model rod. Sometimes they are discounted. I managed to get a Scott 4 wt rod, a Scientific Anglers Concept 2 fly reel and a RIO "Selective Trout" line for under $225.

By the way. I use that 4 wt rod for bass as well as trout. Works great as long as I don't have to drag a big bass out of the weeds or throw a BIG bass bug. (It's a little light to throw bass bugs. It throws a size 8 streamer pretty good though.)

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Junkyard Spey

Hey DaveTheFisher...

I would buy a 9'-6wt. The TFO products are great.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Pullin' Thread

Like MJC, I'd go with a 9'-10' 6 wt.

I lived in Pennsylvania until I was 25 and caught a lot of smallmouth on a 9' 6wt, including in the very large Susquahanna River (it is a mile across). A 6 wt easily handle smallmouth up to 5 lbs.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:44 AM
B's Flies

I personally am fond of my 5 weight 8" 6' (a 9' would be a bit more all purpose), over-lined with a 6 weight. I fish for bass, trout, and an assortment of other local species, and have found it to be quite satisfactory.

Last edited by bjthebrown; 07-06-2005 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I'd get a 5 or 6 weight 8'6 or 9' rod. Find a fly shop in your area and cast a bunch and find something that's comfortable. That's the most important thing. If you decide on a 5 wt, make sure it's not a full flex rod. You'll want something with a bit more backbone for those smallmouth, and especially if you start using it for largemouth in and around weeds. If you plan on fishing small streams a lot, I'd go for the 8'6 instead of the 9'. If you plan on focusing more on rivers, ponds, and lakes, I'd go with the 9'.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to ashbourn
If you do plan on fishing for some bass a faster action will make casting some of the bigger flies or popers. 9' 5 or 6 wt is a good AP rod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.